New year, new approaches and same old material

January 7, 2007

Riding the train allowed me to have another chance to continue reading Saturday. It seems like opportunities for reading has become rare in recent months. With work expected to become a bit more involved for a change and Salsa continuing to take up most of my free time, I suspect train rides to SOS will continue to offer the best chance for near future – unless I’m traveling with other people.

SOS was fairly quiet tonight – more room to dance with. Fairly large number of Cambridge-associated people was present – many based now in London. I suppose Rajiv could count technically speaking. Jane and Laura certainly would have been commuting from Cambridge. I had some friendly chats with Drew and Natalie and danced once with Natalie. How personal interactions work often seems very mysterious – how much of it is random and how much is due to innate aspects of individuals involved?

Dancing was nice. I liked it even more when I was dancing to music I knew and liked, such as Cuando Te Vea (Tito Puente), El Abaniquito (Pucho), Hacha Y Machete (Alfredo de la Fe – a very nice last dance for me even if I wasn’t spot on). I also had a pleasant rare dance with Marianne before she left – I always enjoy dancing with her and I said rare only because she was a little less than her usual mischievous coltish self. As Martina said, it was nice to see her dance again after having her sidelined with an injury.

After 2+ years of trying to learn to dance Salsa, I seem to have reached a point where it is difficult to see how I might yet achieve rapid improvements. Heck, it’s possible that I am developing bad habits more than improving these days. More I dance, more faults I seem to find with it. The long-ago aim of becoming good enough so that I would be good enough to please everyone I dance with seems remote and probably is impossible – for me at least. It’s not a new thought and I could add that I may not be any happier if I did somehow reach that old ever-moving goal.

So what’s next? Time passes and oblivion comes nearer. I keep setting goals, but I am unsure if I am meeting any of them including the big one – not regretting missed opportunities and paths not taken when it all ends. Passage of time is deceptive at many levels - sometimes as trivial as the two clocks at SOS telling time twenty minutes apart. I got ready to leave with two songs left to go (earliest departure yet), and I might have left earlier if it weren't for the faulty clock.

No comments: