Diminishing returns

February 12, 2007

And then there are days like today.

There is no doubt that there are plenty of things I could learn to improve my dancing. This includes but is not limited to more turn patterns, shines, isolations, technique, tension, knowledge of music, interpretation of music, etc. More open to question is whether I am using my time efficiently by continuing my current set of classes.

For now, inertia carries me through because I don’t see any convenient alternative. Although the amount of things I learn within two hour period is not a great deal and despite the suspicion that some people think less of me because of some weird bias (along the lines of thinking that anyone taking classes cannot be very good – good dancers have no need of taking lessons or should be teaching), I still get some useful practice out of these classes.

I could add that getting a sustainable advanced level class (on1) in Cambridge to really suit me is no more likely to happen than getting a decent on2 classes started in Cambridge. I wonder how practical it would be to get some on2 practice without taking formal classes.

Intermediate with Latin Collective - Joe

1,2,3,5,6,7 lead follower into a double stationary clockwise turn ending with leader turning 1/2 counerclockwise and doing a slam dunk to end R-R
1,2,3,5,6,7 open break, bring follower forward and into a 1 1/2 clockwise traveling turn for follower with a R-R windmill motion with adjusting connections to keep R fingers pointing up final 1/2 turn for follower
1,2,3,5,6,7 Copa start but finish with a Jesus check
1,2,3,5,6,7 prepare and lead follower for 1 1/2 clockwise turn for follower ending with R-R haircomb/wash (and double-wash) for follower followed by CBL in next bar

1,2,3,5,6,7 lead follower into single stationary clockwise turn with R-L low to get R-L behind follower’s R waist*
1,2,3,5,6,7 step forward on 1 to accommodate follower, bring follower forward on 2, leader turns 1/4 counterclockwise while brining R-L into Copa-like position – between 3 and 5 bring R-L to an arc up and down like a windmill to lead follower into 1 1/2 clockwise traveling turn and to get R-L across follower’s stomach for a wrap**
1,2,3,5,6,7 basic (somewhat like Mambo jazz) – release R-L and bring R to follower’s back to lead follower forward on 5 keeping L-R low and lead follower into 1 1/2 traveling counterclockwise turn instead of a more typical clockwise turn and with leader turning counterclockwise on 7 (easier if follower does not take too long with her turn)
1,2,3,5,6,7 use L-R pump motion to signal moving into closed hold for CBL

*Many ways to get into this position have been covered. One-up-one-down and over-and-under moves can be used. A double windmill move ending with switching hands could be employed as well.
**Same end position can be achieved keeping R-L low throughout

Somewhat less useful – at least in the case of Mondays – is the social afterwards. Euvian was there today, which counts for something. There were few other people who were worth dancing with – even though I get very little useful practice out in terms of learning to lead more complex moves, at least I feel like I’m being helpful and getting appreciated in return. It is rare that someone who I could dance without abandon would make it on Monday.

Cristian made a surprise appearance tonight, but this was likely a one-time thing to promote his Wednesday party. By the way I could be wrong, but to my eyes it looked like Cristian might have been practicing dancing on2 with a few unsuspecting souls tonight while reverting to on1 with better followers.

Vishal was using that same CD again – meaning yet another night with Micaela. I think I am getting so sick of Micaela that hearing it sometimes makes me lose all will do dance. I was thinking, “Okay, the next one is Thinking Of You. Do I feel like dancing to it?”

When I complained of fact that same CD was being used to Euvian, she suggested that I make my own CD to play instead. Not a bad idea, but I would want to make 6-8 CDs so that the same CD would not be heard for at least a month or so.

Margarita, which isn’t too bad especially if I ignore predictability, came on. I knew that Montuno Street and Tambo were coming up so I tried to gear myself up to those two songs. Alas, Vishal decided to switch CDs just as those two songs were about to start. Oi. Deflated again.

Tumbando Cabeza by Tabaco Y Ron was next. Ugh. I played it a few times last spring and decided that it was just so-so at best. Next? Estoy Caliente by Tabaco Y Ron – I gave up on that song after just one or two airplay – there are so many better songs new and old - why waste time on something so unremarkable? Tabaco Y Ron has not recorded even one exceptional song. I suppose Vishal will feel compelled to use the CD (and I could sympathize – I after all also used my Tabaco Y Ron CDs because I spent money on them and because some of the songs seemed just okay enough).

The next song was something I did not hear before. I tried asking a few different people all of whom either declined or hesitated so I decided that I had enough and left. It was one of those nights where I might have been better off leaving after a dance or two. Or perhaps I could have fumbled around trying to dance on2 - I don't think it would have made a big difference tonight.

I suppose I shouldn’t blame everything on music. The main floor was sticky once again while the wooden floor seemed full of sand. Even if better followers were present, dancing would have been a challenge. Surely Club Salsa will never seriously challenge Brit Salsafest or even SOS (where there are many highly competent people who seem to think dancing with me is worthwhile) except under exceptional circumstances. Certainly conditions like today do not inspire me to want to come back often.

Maybe I am coming off sounding very bitter or like a jerk. Too late. After years of this blog, I imagine everyone has made up his or her mind. No doubt some people will take my side while others will be indulgent or not blink an eye whereas yet more will take this as another reason to hate, despise or belittle. I think more than anything I am exhausted and still not fully recovered from having had little sleep recently. Remember - there will be always days of frustration - not every day can be great.

Tonight supposedly was Tiz’s last night at Club Salsa – once again.

No comments: