Four Corners

July 3, 2008

I guess the news of the week was Sally announcing that she will stop the Thursday classes at Club Salsa at the end of July. I first heard it via her group e-mail yesterday. Good luck on her future plans, which apparently will involve dancing with the Salsology Dance Company based in Manchester while lessening her teaching load temporarily.

I wondered what Vish’s plans for Thursdays would be. His answer surprised me. I was expecting something of a retrenchment. However, it seemed like he was hoping to get a big-name teacher. Nothing definite at this point though. How it all goes presumably will depend a great deal on whether partner dancing become more or less popular. I won’t try to predict the future.

As for the social dancing, it was one of the better Thursdays in recent days despite absence of many regulars. No Haihan tonight, and Vish took over as DJ about mid-way through. I’d say Sally’s choices tended to be more challenging while Vish’s were more relaxing or laid back. I found both quite surprising. The floor stayed fairly busy for longer comparatively speaking.

The composition of the crowd especially on the follower side was different. I’d say there were four groups – the usual Thursday suspects at the smaller end in size missing many people, the A-level crowd many of whom had been absent past few weeks but back in greater numbers, Latin crowd not monolithic and not typical for Thursdays, and a group of complete strangers with sound basic following skills. For me dancing tonight exceeded expectations.

Tomorrow should be an intriguing night with Anne, Anichi, Lee, Shelley + 1. It should be interesting to see who turns up for what. Vish asked me to come for the lessons. I hadn’t planned on going, but I told him I’ll try to come. No guarantees. It will require a very early dinner as well as a potentially action-packed workday.

No comments: