Winding Down

December 19, 2008

Already the memory is slipping away, and conjuring images have become a mighty struggle. Even when summoned I wonder about the veracity of the glimpses. Regrets haunt although deep down I know it’s all for nought. I curse at Alberich for he was not able to keep the gold for long; it was not a big prize in the first place. I will wait but I think it will all be nothing but a scrap like yesterday’s newspaper.

Quiet night. Christmas approaches. No Joe. Just Kafe, Dan and Vish along with piles of shoes. I had a fair bit of free time so I ended up there shortly before 9. The first hour was not complete yet. I shuttled back and forth between beginner and improver classes. Vish decided to take helm at the DJ booth first. His tendency alas was to choose consistently faster or more difficult songs. I wonder if I am partially to blame. I thought Sally was affected to different but similar effects recently.

Aside from the people at the lessons, other attendees could be summarized as Jane and Richard, Ian plus one, Laura, half dozen regulars dancing frequently or otherwise, nanny group, army group, David and a small gang, a group from work, and a lone improver from thin air. The search for followers who stay on beat was the game again; it has been difficult enough on some recent dates.

Playlist

Mandali – Africando (1)

break

Comerciante De Amor – Cheo Feliciano*
Volver Volver – Grupo Gale
Con Eso – El Gran Combo
Mentirosa – Louie Ramirez & Ray De La Paz
Che Che – New Swing Sextet (2)
Oiga Mire Vea – Guayacan Orquesta
El Negrito De Batey – Direct Latin Influence
Senora – Domenic Marte
Cuando Te Vea – Bobby Valentin (from Rey Del Bajo)
Mi Mujer Es Una Bomba – Oscar D’Leon
Swing La Moderna – Ray Barretto
Vampira – Rey Reyes
Cali Aji – Grupo Niche (-5%)
Guayacan Pasodobles – Guayacan Orquesta (scratched section removed)
Quiero Enamorarte – Marco Ferretti
Satin Lace – Willie Rosario* (3)
Como Lo Hacen – Tommy Olivencia (canta: Frankie Ruiz)
El Cantante – Marc Anthony
La Fruta Bomba – Fruko Y Sus Tesos (-5%)
Sin Negro No Guaguanco – Lebron Brothers
Si Tu Te Vas – Juan Luis Guerra
Mami – Pablo Bachata
Tu No Me Has Visto Miguel – Javier Vazquez (labelled Sonora Matancera) (4)
Ave Maria Lola – Sonora Carruseles
Cali Pachanguero – Galileo Y Su Banda

(1) Second song of the social when I thought I was going to start off as the DJ. Vish took over again, however.
(2) I think I had a dance with Ian’s plus one.
(3) A dance with Jane.
(4) I tried to dance to this one. I don’t remember if I was successful – probably no. Oh wait. I did.

Total = 26 songs. 3 Merengue or Merengue-like. 3 Bachata. 20 Salsa including 2 new.

The army group and the work group were the last to remain. David returned as I was leaving.

Let’s see if Moe Flex brings any magic tomorrow night. I think I’ll have nothing better to do.

No comments: