Swan Song

April 19, 2009

The plan crystallized when I received a text from Liam saying that Gaucho’s is fine late in the night. I forwarded the message to Sergio hoping that it would not disrupt his sleep. Past noon, I conferred with both over the phone then made the reservation for three at 7 PM. More time than I had hoped was spent studying the route to St James Square.

I picked up Sergio around 5 PM – slightly behind schedule. The traffic on Bow Street was unusually slow. However we did make it to Gaucho’s Grill Picadilly before appointed time – unlike Liam who apparently had to resort to taxi/bus combo due to a train station closure. In any case no major problems.

Gaucho’s Grill was dark. Aside from actual dark rooms, I don’t think I ever saw any place have less lighting than this place. Of restaurants, it reminded me a little of Hakasan, but this place was much darker. Food was okay but pricey. I may had less complaints than Sergio or Liam, but then again I wasn’t paying.

Liam directed me back to Russell Square area. As we approached the door I was able to hear a version of Camina Prende Y El Fogon unknown to me on the other side. I whispered to Sergio that Sylvester must be the DJ tonight. I was right. It was around 9 when we made our entrance.

Sergio’s assessment was that there were more On2 dancers at SOS compared to last time he was here. He thought the overall level (though not the top level) of people seemed better. This agreed with my opinion more or less although I have been here regularly so the change would not have looked stark.

The most amusing Liam quip of the day was, "You're so lucky," given to a girl he was chatting with when I got around to ask her for a dance. I would say he was considerably less outrageous than usual by past standard.

Like the last time, I think I danced at higher frequency than I had been for past year or so. The dances were up and down in quality early on. I was asked by two different women - one twice with second time seemingly half-expecting me to say no. I admit that I was eyeing who to ask for the next song during this dance.

Next for the last three songs, I picked on some of my favorites - the ones I find attractive and have had some very nice dances with in the past. Second to last song was Blue Mambo. The final song was for the second time tonight with my longest frequent partner at SOS. Thus ended my final SOS outing during my 5.5 years of residence in the United Kingdom.

No comments: