Transportation fiascoes in getting to and out of London

December 15, 2005

7:40 AM - I wake up after about 5-6 hours of sleep. I'm still getting used to changing time zones.

8:30 AM - I leave for MOT test.

8:45 AM - I start my walk back - I choose to go home first because it was a little colder than I expected.

9:45 AM - After a quick change of clothes, I get on my bicycle to head for the rail station.

10:15 AM - I arrive at rail station and miss the train by 1-2 min. I had not been able to find my Network Rail Pass, which was going to expire soon anyway. I stop at a photo booth for a photo card; I learn later that this was unnecessary if I'm not purchasing a weekly (or longer) rail pass. No matter. I purchase a rail pass and a cheap day return ticket to London with underground access.

11:45 AM - I arrive at Kings Cross.

12:00 AM - I emerge from Oxford Circus underground station.

12:50 PM - I arrive at Henry Holland Pub near Bond Street station after wandering around Oxford street looking for a suitable gift. I meet with a large group of people from work.

1:00 PM - A long lunch (dim sum) starts.

3:45 PM - Lunch ends.

4:00 PM - A pub stop near Oxford Circus station.

5:15 PM - At Oxford Circus station, I discover that I lost my rail tickets. I get separated from my group.

6:15 PM - After a short stop at the pub and restaurant, I give up my search for my tickets and take the underground from Baker Street.

6:30 PM - I rejoin my group at the London Eye after getting off at Waterloo station.

7:15 PM - After several unsuccessful attempt at finding a pub or bar that can seat a group of over a dozen near Embankment and Charing Cross, we end up inside a crowded pub with a alarm going off outside the pub. Here I find that severe train delays (and replacement buses) have been scheduled after 9:15 PM. Best possible option for returning to Cambridge may involve taking a 9:58 PM train from Liverpool Street. I don't think I could handle 2-3 hour train/bus ride back to Cambridge late in the evening followed by an hour walk to pick up my car from MOT testing Friday morning.

This train schedule change essentially rules out going to Bar Salsa because their club does not start until 9:30 PM. Second option is to go to Little Tree, look at their lesson for last 10 min or so, and then check out the club for 1 to 1.5 hours before returning to Cambridge.

7:55 PM - I arrive at Litten Tree (near Old Street station). Classes and club are cancelled because of the holidays. The pub is cavernous, but the dance floor is fairly small and has a large column near the middle of the floor. I estimate that the main elevated wood floor could accommodate about 12-15 couples. Overall, I wasn't impressed - but maybe I would think differently with dancers present.

8:15 PM - I arrive at Kings Cross. I purchase a replacement network rail pass and a ticket back to Cambridge from a not-very-friendly and unsympathetic cashier. By the way, one-way ticket to Cambridge cost more than cheap day return from Cambridge with underground access.

10:00 PM - I arrive at Cambridge rail station.

10:05 PM - I stop at Club Salsa for a short and not-intensive night of dancing after a hectic, tiring and largely irritating day. I was informed that I missed a nice routine at the class.

No comments: