Found a flaw and a simple fix

April 19, 2006

I was feeling pretty battered from recent activities so I wasn't going to go, but Vishal twisted my arm a little and I wasn't feeling too inspired with work so I went. Another part of the reason for going was to hear the song selections for tonight and see if there would be any new additions to the Wednesday playlist - there wasn't.

It wasn't the liveliest of the nights, but it was somewhat useful in trying to figure out why certain moves work or do not work with people at various level of abilities. I found a slight flaw in one of my techniques and also found a simple fix - this was helped by reading my dance partners reaction to a flawed leading technique. It seems obvious now, but it is difficult to find these flaws while dancing with people who are experienced followers and it is difficult to know that the technique is sound until these moves are used on followers who have not seen the move before. So considering this and couple other pretty good dances, this evening was not too bad.

Some other amusing bits included watching others dance while paying particular attention to feet (and trying to imagine making it lighter, etc), being watched while dancing (I didn't realize I might be worth watching except by beginners or by someone who is being critical and is thinking of ways to improve it), possible game of one-upmanship, and seeing Vishal play new brand new songs in a row (I provided one of them).

Speaking of new songs, I'm really looking forward to playing some new fun songs this Friday - I already have a pretty good outline of the playlist. I am almost dying with anticipation to see how people react to some of these songs.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I may make a little suggestion, request, challenge (as this song is very difficult to find in the UK): Contigo (by the Toronto salsa band called Cache). Please, pretty please. :)
N.

hyh said...

My my... What have I got myself into, np?

I seem to recall you making the same request to Enrique a while ago...

I'll look into it. No promises though.

Anonymous said...

No, that couldn't be me. I just learned about this song (that is, the title and the band) a few days ago. But it's very special. Would make me one very happy camper :)

Keeping my fingers crossed. :) Thank you.
N.