Where did that come from?

April 13, 2006

Intermediate - Sally with Chris - Pure Salsa

1,2,3,5,6,7 Mambo basic
1,2,3,5,6,7 CBL end extended (follower does shoulder wiggle)
1,2,3,5,6,7 follower is brought closer on 2,3 and lead double turn for follower with R-L with R-L coming down after the first turn (pulling the zipper) to get R-L behind follower’s back R waist
1,2,3,5,6,7 open break and bring follower along on the right side with L hand offered behind leader’s backside to connect L-R and lead follower into 1 1/2 clockwise turn ending with tight closed hold
1,2,3,5,6,7 keep follower on the spot on 1 (as opposed to stepping back) and rotate as a unit counterclockwise for rotating CBL ending with cross pass (essentially hook turn for leader to face follower) and change to R-R
1,2,3,5,6,7 R-R Copa stopping follower’s motion aided with R forearm on follower’s back – connect L-L in front of follower’s L shoulder and lead follower forward on 5 and 1 1/2 counterclockwise turn led with L-L
1,2,3,5,6,7 L-L hat for leader and CBL with R-L led (at waist level on 6) free 1 1/2 counterclockwise traveling turn for follower
end with a shine for leader followed by a shine for follower

Chris now has a talking part in classes (same as last week). If you're giving instructions in class as part of the lesson…

leader’s shine
1,2,3 start with Mambo basic and turn 1/4 counterclockwise for 2,3,
5,6,7 Suzy Q (second half)
8 L foot cross over in front of R foot on heel
1,2,3,4 shuffle alternative feet in small movements R, L, R, L
5,6,7 big wide steps with swerve R, L, R – follow with Mambo basic back facing the follower

You never know how an evening will turn out. I did not feel a particularly good vibe going in. I coasted through the lessons. I wasn't feeling down or anything but I was particularly inspired either. So when I sat down and decided to chill for the second hour of lessons, I had no high expectations about dancing tonight.

I found myself chatting with a small group of people including Vishal during the second hour of lessons. Topics included music, DJing, business, vacations, practice (or lack of) - pretty innocuous stuff dealing with various aspects of Salsa and other matters. We met some newcomers from abroad. I did a little of practice of today's routine and related material from Monday classes for a short time - maybe 5 min at most.

Dancing started eventually. I sat out during the first song then started dancing without taking very few breaks. In no time, I had strung together half dozen pretty good dances and found myself in a reasonably good form. This was followed by more than dozen dances with increasing intensity. I found myself leading a move that surprised me more than a few times - some people follow so well that it's almost feels like they know what I am going to lead before I know what's going to happen. Chris for one thought I was in a very good form tonight, and I did dance well with pretty much everyone. I suspect I led some dances that were at considerably higher level than some people are used to and do this without it becoming absolutely overwhelming - exhausting but not overwhelming. Who knows how it (positive feedback loop resulting in having better and better dances as night progresses) happens, but one might as well enjoy it when it happens. I was complaining about lack of workout from dancing lately. I wouldn't say I exhausted myself (not even close) tonight but it was a pretty good workout.

No comments: