No, I am not switching the blog name to Sergio appreciation site either

November 2, 2006

I think I went well over 48 hours without listening to Salsa – probably the longest break I had in over 3 months.

Advanced with Sally and Chris

1,2,3,5,6,7 CBL 1 1/2 counterclockwise turn (inside turn)
1,2,3,5,6,7 single turn for follower with both connections intact with R-L going over follower’s head like a hat and with the connection resting on follower’s R shoulder
1,2,3,5,6,7 bring follower in like Copa and lead follower back to direction from which she came from in 1 1/2 counterclockwise turn under R-L – I think it ends with all connections above follower’s shoulders
1,2,3,5,6,7 I am unsure if I have this bit correct (I thought the routine might have been longer) – prepare and lead follower into 1 1/2 traveling clockwise turn with leader turning full counterclockwise and switching to L-L
1,2,3,5,6,7 this bit is very fast – in fact, it should work nicely enough as a standalone – open break and bring follower in with full counterclockwise turn on 2,3 with leader moving around follower from her L side to end in crucifix-like position staying close and behind follower – then turn around as unit counterclockwise (half is okay here)
1,2,3,5,6,7 tough bit for follower – prepare follower on 1,2 with slight clockwise twist on 1 and counterclockwise on 2 and lead her to turn full clockwise on 3 to land on 4 and allow for a breather then lead her to double stationary counterclockwise turn

Song selections went from what Sergio might describe as Vish-classic-like to my lighter powderpuff fares (e.g. La Llave, Fragile) to a hodgepodge of stuff (including Azuquita Pal Café, Mambo Diablo, My Favorite Things) to a series of Cuban-like material (definitely not Mambo as if Vishal stopped by to request a break from Mambo) back to more familiar tunes once again (Hacha Y Machete, Ran Kan Kan [Mamborama version]) to Romantica or slow fare (Mujer Erotica, Fragile [for the second time tonight because of someone’s request], Otra Oportunidad, Perdoname, Acid). I imagine Ahora Quien might have been played – it usually is. I generally did not mind the songs I knew, and I think I liked maybe two other songs among the ones I danced to.

It was another busy night, lasting to a little beyond midnight. Most but not all of the more reliable Thursday presences were there – Ivan, Sergio, Mark, Rajiv, Richard, Sean, William, John, Steve, Cristian, Chris, Liam, Sam, Jane, Stephanie, Marie, Lindsey, Sally, Nicola, Louise, Charlotte, Nina, Letty, Clara, Susie.

[note: I don’t think everyone I just named would be considered “regulars.” Liam for one certainly isn’t one. I might be better off not labeling anyone anything. Heck, I probably would be best off not naming anyone, but I guess I can’t keep myself out of potential trouble – although nowadays I am highly unsure what is okay and what is not. By the way I know at best just over half of the people who stayed for the club part of the evening after the end of classes and not every people who I see fairly regularly. Now people can play “who’s who?” if they wish. For now trust that there are no fictional names.]

Quote of the day – “I don’t bend that way.”

Which way? There was definitely some bending – perhaps not in fashion the speaker meant though.

Phrase of the day – “The on-2 revolution”

Or something like it. Sergio seemed underwhelmed. He was underwhelmed by a lot of things of course, including his inability to move his shoulders, poor memory, and being out of form in general. His problem is that he doesn’t practice enough, and I tried to bully him into dancing with sporadic success. I suggested to him that he should dance also taking advantage of songs he doesn’t find interesting. Boring songs are great for throwaway dances in my opinion. Of course, it’s better to dance with people you find interesting, nice, etc during a good song. Knowing this, it’s doubly nice when people prefer to dance with you when a nice song comes on (or if you think so). However, if such opportunities don’t come around often …

Sam continues to warn me against developing a lead like Sergio’s – even though she followed leads in question seemingly without any problem. On the other hand, Stephanie made fun of me for clumsy leads (with unnecessary tension) I tried on her few days ago – Liam chimed in on the subject too stating need for lightest of touches on moves I was trying. The quest continues.

Random name dropping – “Maybe I should ask Juan Matos instead [of Frankie M for the playlist at their new monthly socials].”

Random song titles: Manteca (Dizzie Gillespie), Yo Soy Babaloo, Tracion, Modesty. Adelante Siempre Voy.

Random challenge – Circling around the roundabout wrong way.

Random nonsensical quote for tonight’s post – “Are you talking to me?”

a la Travis Bickle.

I guess I can’t help it if you choose to believe so. Reading tea leaves can be very tricky.

No comments: