Fix that face of yours

May 4, 2007

A factoid that interests only me. Wagamama opened a branch in downtown Boston (USA) a week before they opened their first Cambridge (UK) branch at the end of April. A second branch of Wagamama in USA will open in Cambridge (USA) at Harvard Square this summer.

A question is whether I would have spent a lot of time at Wagamama if I were in Boston. I suppose it is possible albeit Harvard Square already has an excellent noodle Asian restaurant called Pho Pasteur. Cambridge (USA) already has authentic ramen in places like Little Japan in Porter Square Galleria one subway stop from Harvard Square.

I arrived at Wagamama around 8:20. Cyrille was 5-10 minutes ahead of me and already in the middle of the queue that went to the bottom of the stairwell. Natalie arrived more or less on time at 8:30. We were seated by around 8:45. Natalie had already eaten here once - last Sunday, but it was supposedly busy but not completely full and noisy and was without a queue.

Cyrille was the only one amongst us who had never eaten at Wagamama before. He thought it was alright - average was what he called it. He thinks pretty much every restaurant in Cambridge is average or worse. The one he said he liked the most was Mai Thai - for dine-in rather than take-away. Natalie was the most enthusiastic between three of us, and I was probably somewhere between Cyrille and Natalie. If I were living in the USA, I would never pay £7-10 pounds (or $12-19) for ramen of this quality given that I probably could get similar fare for $5-8. Of course, one can also get more and better sushi for about half the price in the USA compared to the UK.

Talk was for the most part away from Salsa although the talk of the upcoming Salsa dance competitions came up and led to a few topics branching off from it. Cyrille and I both tried to talk the other into entering and giving suggestions about prospective partner in crime. Another branching off point involved Natalie being in a competition some years ago and coming in something like 5th or 6th dancing with Ivan. This led to talk about other participants in the local heat - Natalie could remember only Pete and Mimi - and general gossip about Ivan and other old-timers in the Salsa scene.

Because Wagamama was so efficient with their service, we were done eating before 10. There was absolutely no need to be at Club Salsa early, but there wasn't any better idea. Natalie did not join us (normal for Fridays), but Cyrille braved the cold weather and not being in top shape to enjoy couple of San Miguel, etc.

The guy who likes Cha Cha and friendly with me and many of people I know well showed up tonight with a metal guiro - I should learn his name. Steve showed up with Natalia. Nina was there for a very short time presumably not able to sate the need for Salsa fix. Zern showed up well after midnight after spending much of his evening at a jazz bar. Johnny and Serap stayed until closing time - for the first time ever?

Some random snippets…

"Where's your sister?"

Cyrille to Andrea.

"It's a terrible mix." "I don't mind. It's a crap song anyway."

This was in reaction to Vishal's pre-mixed CD containing Playa No More mixed with some other song. I dislike both songs.

"She's great. I wanna marry her."

Sorry. I won't give any context - except that she wasn't here tonight.

"She'll say no anyway."

I said this to Gordon after a silent exchange after Vishal put on a somewhat lame Cha Cha. She didn't say no, but I am half convinced that this happened because she was amused by what I said.

"You've got a red card."

Shila to me laughing. Funny. I don't feel penalized.

"Nooooooo!"

Me and Cyrille in unison after Vishal stopped Arinanara (Eddie Torres Mambo Kings Orchestra) 3 seconds into it.

"He's got a great deal for £2."

Cyrille - said many times regarding Zern.

Other Salsa songs played tonight included Esa Mujer, Noche De Salsa (played twice), Alabanciosa, Ahora Quien, Mandali, Avisale A Mi Contrario (artist? maybe Tito Rodriguez?), La Vida Es Un Carnaval, Me Libere, La Salsa Nunca Se Acabo, Merecumbe (for birthday dance), La 33, Etnia, Otra Oportunidad, Caballo Viejo.

Johnny's long private lessons continued. If nothing else it gave me and Cyrille ample opportunity to dance with Serap. One of Cyrille's dances with Serap elicited a pretty big reaction from Luis et al. Cyrille and Serap liked one of my dances with Serap - Serap thought it was really good with suggestions for improvement for facial expression and more consistent footwork.

After seeing me dance with Serap (the song was Dame Cinco), Cyrille commented that he never saw me dance like I did then. I replied that I dance according to the conditions - four major ones being the song, my partner, amount of space available and how I feel about dancing in general at the moment. For example, I tend not to do a lot of shines unless my partner feels comfortable doing shines. I also usually don't do much in terms of movements unless my partner can handle it.

Next up. Scala. I think the Cambridge contingent will be very small.

No comments: