Bear necessities

June 21, 2007

I suppose after today Thursdays will settle into full summer mode sans University undergraduates. Probably a lot fewer high-powered dances too. Perhaps it will mean more excuse to go to London more regularly because I really doubt there will be many days like this in Cambridge anytime soon. It seemed like there were many disparate groups of people today – many unexpected. But then again, quite a few of the regulars were missing too – strange. It was an unusual day in many ways.

The evening began and ended the same way – with Cyrille and Sergio in my car. In between was a bit of a blur and full of unusual vibes. There was a lot of dancing too – so much so that I started feeling tired quite early in the evening. Fortunately for me, I caught a second wind, which lasted me until the end of the evening.

A night of dancing these days for me typically entails a dance followed by a break (and repeat) – meaning I dance at most for about half of the songs. I suppose on some days about a year ago (or is it more than that?), I sometimes danced non-stop basically taking any opportunity to dance as much as there was a dance partner available. I don’t think I stopped doing this because of aging (although who knows for certain). I think the bigger reason has been to avoid overheating and to avoid becoming soaking wet. Probably I expend more energy for each dance that I was doing when I was more of a beginner. In any case, I think ended up dancing more than 2/3 of the time tonight.

I only had one On2 dance – with Euvian for the first dance of the evening. It looked like Sergio was leading more practice, but I’m not absolutely sure – I was too busy dancing. Songs I danced to tonight include Mentirosa, Noche De Salsa, La Llave, Mambo Gallego, Merecumbe (Los Titanes), Mundy Baja, Otra Oportunidad, Trucutu, Mambo Mongo. A version of Muneca was played too, but I wasn’t able to dance to it.

One of the more odd conversation at the end of the evening involved associating people with cartoon characters. Initially I was assigned a character from a Disney movie – apparently also given to some Big Brother participant although I fail to see any connection there (I suppose the connection to the cartoon character is just as tenuous). Cyrille was initially a mouse character, which seemed to go over well enough. But then Sergio became one of the chipmunks; ergo Cyrille and I also had to be one as well – I got the leftover – arguably the most annoying one – the troublemaker. Apt? Perhaps so.

I was asked how to one might say, “I’m sleepy,” in my native tongue. I’m very sleepy right now – and I’m not especially sleep-deprived. Writing this blog is no help in this regard.

No comments: