Pretty good for a pretty poor night

June 14, 2007

Intermediate/Advanced with Sally assisted by Charlotte


1,2,3,5,6,7 CBL with 1 1/2 clockwise traveling turn (inside turn) with leader turning counterclockwise (1 1/4) at the end
1,2,3,5,6,7 prepare and lead follower to a stationary double clockwise turn (preparation for the turn might start as early as just prior to leader finishing his turn) with L-R high and R-L (reconnected fairly late) low to end in hammerlock position for follower (R-L behind follower's R waist)
1,2,3,5,6,7 basic first half then a slight twist to left (follower's right) on 5 for preparation and then lead follower into stationary counterclockwise turn (double turn) to get into a wrap with L-R low and R-L about shoulder level
1,2,3,5,6,7 mambo jazz and lead follower to turn 1/2 clockwise (between 4 and 5) and ending L-R high/shoulder level and R-L low and then lead follower into 1 1/2 counterclockwise turn leading with L-R and ending with leader turning 1/2 counterclockwise for drop catch to end with R-R
1,2,3,5,6,7 leader turn 1/2 clockwise on 2 and connecting L-L while turning follower 1/2 clockwise to end in crucifix position - without too much arm movement (presumably using mostly good frame) lead follower to R on 5, L on 6 and full clockwise turn on 7
1,2,3,5,6,7 leader turns full turn (I was doing clockwise turn but one of the follower said I should be doing counterclockwise - I never checked to see which was the version Sally was doing, but I don't think it matter all that much) with L-L high and R-R temporarily disconnected low and reconnected - prepare follower to L on 5 and lead follower to turn full clockwise with leader also turning full (counterclockwise) at the same time
1,2,3,5,6,7 Copa-like start and then fake and into a traveling counterclockwise turn for follower led with L-L

Early to the social part of the evening were Sergio, Natalie, Cyrille, Ivan, Haihan, Steve (?) and Isabelle. Late arrivals included Euvian, Nicola, Nina and Stephanie. Jane and Mark arrived for the second hour of classes. People taking classes for the first hour included Rajiv, William, Hayden, Steve and Andrea.

It looked grim for a while, and I thought I was headed for a hard landing. It took me a while to get started - in more than one way. The end of the evening was not particularly great either. However, somewhere in between, there were at least 3-4 quite good ones so it was not as bad as I feared.

I more or less confirmed my earlier guess about someone not being especially thrilled about dancing with me. I was also pleasantly surprised that another person might like dancing with me considerably more than I had expected and had assumed for a rather long time - I could be wrong about that though. I guess I have been noticing a good number of cases both ways. I suppose that sort of thing changes all the time too and will continue to do so - some in day-to-day basis.

How was my form tonight? I actually thought it was quite good - surprising to come to such conclusion considering this was one of the worst Thursdays in recent memory. For most subpar evenings, I could usually point out bunch of things I should have done better or differently, but at the risk of sounding pompous I have to say I did quite well - good control, sound fundamentals, patient and decent effort at engagement. This is unusual.

Miscellaneous. I talked to Ed about driving in London and such. Haihan will be here for a little more than a week before going home. Trying to remember routines from previous week seems fairly common nowadays. I cannot remember which one but either Ivan or Nina gave me a funny look in middle of their dance - I have no idea why but I think they were dancing On2 (and struggling a little doing it) at the time. Generally I am a little annoyed with the On2 situation - hopefully things will be right again soon.

I seemingly recognized all but a handful of the songs played tonight - not a problem since I don't feel sick of any of them yet. Songs played included Anunciado Clasificada, Mentirosa, Soledad, Malaguena Salerosa (no dance), Noche de Salsa (not 100% sure but danced to something like it), Merecumbe (Johnny Colon - Jane), Rumbon Melon (no dance once again), Mujer Erotica (Nicola), La Llave (not sure but probably dance), Anacaona (no dance), El Menu (probably no dance), El Tornillo de Guillo, Me Libere (dance).

No comments: