End Of Summer In Sight

September 19, 2008

What’s with the reduction in Salsa outings? Last week, one night. The week before, two nights at Salsa Kingdom. Before that, one night. I’m far from convinced that this is an SOS weekend. It’s a far cry from at least twice a week and more often than not three times a week.

I simply don’t see any reason to visit CS more often. Maybe something will change when school starts again, but I’m pessimistic. So unless some compelling reason appears, I’ll just continue to hold the fort on Fridays and no more. Progress elsewhere is slow, and it’s probably best to keep my Salsa distraction to minimum to try to find myself out of this jungle.

This may be the last of the slow “summer” Fridays this year. Next week brings another showcase Friday. Some of the university students might be back the Friday after that. Whatever the reason the only people from the ole crowd tonight were Ivan and Nina. Mmm – I think Sharon has been around long enough to qualify. Hmm - how should or could the ole crowd be defined? How about for girls - the ones who are liable to get asked to dance by both me and Rajiv or Ivan? Just kidding. Don't take this seriously. Please!

I don’t mean no one else is dancing slot style; there are quite a few newcomers catching on very fast as well as longer-termers still steadily improving. I have said a while ago that the newcomers coming to a stronger scene tend to improve faster, and many of the people who became “good” when the scene was weaker but stopped improving will find themselves getting surpassed.

Personal Salsa news – not that I think anyone should care. I think I’m out of the GBSEx. I kept holding off buying a ticket for it, and now I found a more attractive alternative – Athens at the end of November. I really don’t want to spend two weekends in a row at Salsa congresses. Even if one night party pass was possible to obtain, Manchester is too long a drive. On the other hand, Acropolis + New Swing Sextet + El Gran Combo = irresistible. I’m looking at Fri+Sat only option – similar to Salsa Kingdom except with a lot more sightseeing. Will GBSEx come to rue not locking people into buying tickets by offering early-bird discount? Salsa Del Este is still fairly safe, however.

Joe's song selections came in blocks. I can't remember exactly but there were songs like Blue Mambo and Lluvia Con Nieve next to each other early, songs like Betece and Se Le Ve were near each other in the middle, and Nadie Se Salva De La Rumba (Ivan's favorite - ha ha) and Manos Duras at the end to clear the floor.

Playlist

Lindo Yambu – Cheo Feliciano
Mentiras – Oscar D’Leon
No Es Una Novela – Monchy & Alexandra*
Pastorita – Conjunto Yumuri*
Ay Amor, Cuando Hablan Las Miradas – Guayacan Orquesta
Mi Pollo – Eddie Palmieri*
Rumbera – Willie Chirino
Sopa En Botella – Celia Cruz & Johnny Pacheco
Merecumbe – Johnny Colon (-5%)
El Costo De La Vida – Juan Luis Guerra
La Bilirrubina – Juan Luis Guerra
Hasta El Fin – Monchy & Alexandra*
Guaguanco Pa’l Que Sabe – Johnny Pacheco
El Tiroteo – New Swing Sextet
Que Locura Enamorarme Ti – DLG*

Total = 15 songs. 2 Bachata new. 2 Merengue. 11 Salsa including 3 new.

No comments: