DC Dance Collective Second Week Monthly

January 10, 2009

This event is held on the second Saturday and fourth Saturday of every month. The fourth Saturday might be a regular DC Salsa Meetup night, which increases the total number of attendees mostly by adding more beginners.

I was very curious to see the On2 class material in DC so I left home early. Actually I was later in arriving than I had intended. Lucky for me the spinning class was held before the turn pattern class. Thus I ended up gabbing with Tanya and Maylis before the turn pattern class started.

Intermediate On2 class with Psyon

6,7,1,2,3,5 CBL inside turn for follower from open hold both connections intact
6,7,1,2,3,5 R turn for leader with both connections intact with L-R ending behind leader’s neck [note: I got hung up on how to end in this position – it took me so long to figure this out (I still am not completely sure) so I ended up sitting out rest of the session] – possibly a full basic here or toss R-L behind follower’s back R waist
6,7,1,2,3 re-connect R-L behind follower’s back R waist and begin as if Copa ending somewhat like back-to-back with follower with both connections still intact – however, this cannot be led like a Copa because what’s wanted is a in-and-out half turn for follower rather than 1 1/2 turn so the pressure on R-L needs to be very small and delicately measured – while follower is turning (with L-R now disconnected), leader also turns towards follower and turn right (starting on 2) to face away from follower (with both now facing same direction on the same line for follower as the start of previous bar and with R-L now wrapped around front of the leader and on leader’s L waist
5,6,7,1,2,3,5 leader turns full R leading with R-L and with L-R connected above leader’s R shoulder – it seemed like leader started turning his foot on 5 while most of the turn happening on 6 – this is one of those moves leader turns full turn while getting follower to move around to the other side effectively making a half turn travelling except here follower’s turn is more like New York walk (right turn to end) rather than simple CBL (left turn) [note: this does not sound too difficult although it is something I never tried and the timing is non-standard for the follower – not standard New York walk timing in any case]
6,7,1,2,3,5 now from mirror-image of CBL position lead follower to 1 1/2 (R-L now disconnected) inside travelling turn (1 1/2 counterclockwise)
6,7,1,2,3,5 leader turns half R with L-R on 6,7 and transferring from L-R to R-R and lead free broken left turn for follower lead presumably coming right after 2 – here lead also turns to get back to facing follower but I don’t remember if the turn was to L or to R

Some of the class videotaped the material at the end of the class. Too bad I got so confused at the start. Even though this was far from impossible class, I think I would have had struggled with unfamiliar turns and techniques at 3 or 4 other points. I think there were more people checking out the On2 classes than the On1 classes.

With some analysis mostly done while watching, I probably could do okay with a remedial class. In fact I might be able to salvage something (I especially liked the middle bit) with practice. The fact that I haven’t had any regular classes since April (with one-off on August and September) probably made me a little rusty although the real trouble was with unfamiliarity with the patterns and pace of instruction.

By the way, it was indeed Psyon (and Maylis) I saw the other night doing a more challenging version of Sergio and Lindsey. I think Maylis said it was like going to a battle. Tonight’s display/practice for them was fast footwork more than partner work.

Tanya was referring me to prospective dancee partners left and right all night – it bordered on sublime and comical. As a result more than a third and perhaps close to half of my dances may had something to do with her. I think I would have had a great time without it, but I am also fairly sure it made it even better.

Names, names, names. Trying to remember more than one or two new names a day is hard. Maylis was easier because she was the first and was with an unusual name. The second had a name probably starting with a letter D and undisclosed Chinese-sounding last name – it might have been Diana, but even after second time hearing it from Tanya I’m not completely sure. I ended up refraining from commenting on her top; I couldn’t decide whether it was a conversation starter or killer. Kate I remembered from the first CG – another case of first name of the evening (I’m not that good). I remembered Janet’s name afterwards helped by meetup photo from long time ago. One other new person with name I greeted was Mr Mambo Tommy Smith.

This was the first night out ever where I had more On2 dances than On1 dances by a large margin – I’m thinking that more than two thirds of the dances were On2. Previous high was On2 up on On1 by a single dance at SOS London. Here I would estimate that more than half of the dances on the floor were On2. My impression is that there were more “serious” dancers here than there were at Clarendon Grill in previous weeks and here two weeks ago.

Hong Kong (Michi Sarmiento Y Sus Bravos), Arinanara (Eddie Torres and His Mambo Kings Orchestra), Cal Tjader, Grupo Latin Vibe, Bongo Loco (Lebron Brothers), Ti Mon Bo, Salsa Buena, etc closing with Salchicha Con Huevos. I can’t remember them all by title, but I think I knew more than 10 songs spot on this time around. Music was from the 50s to 00s with smatterings of jazzy tunes, flutes, vibraphones and strings – classics interspersed with obscure. Not too fast – at least not all the time. The only time I thought it was too fast (especially given the late hours), I overheard Earl tell the DJ to slow down to good effect.

One person told me that the turn towards more familiar was unusual but may indicate more than one-off change. There were two Bachata – I don’t think there was a Bachata last time although there wasn’t a second room this time also. No Merengue – no complaints. No Timba – ditto. Aforementioned Hong Kong was the only song I recognized as Colombian.

I am not sure why things have changed, but based on tonight I would say that DC Dance Collective second (and fourth) Saturday could be considered the best venue for people serious about Salsa especially those serious enough to learn On2 dancing in On1 dominated area. Presumably it helps to be pretty good to start with, and it also helps to get to know the people in the scene. Then again I don’t think I was especially good, and a thought that these people will find me to be a fraud after seeing me a few more times came to my mind more than once.

So what do I make of my off-hand assessment “It feels like an old scene on a down cycle?” made after my first visit? Well… it is an old mature scene – there have been good dancers here for longer than in London. What about “down?” I don’t think I have a strong basis to make a good assessment from what I have seen only. I don’t think it’s growing rapidly, but I’m guessing it’s holding fairly steady with influx and outflux of people more or less balancing out. If it’s down, it is no more down than it is in London. At least in terms of On2 dancing, I cannot say with certainty that SOS London is better than here despite London SOS attracting larger number of people. I look forward to seeing how things compare in London - presumably first at Lee Tribute event next weekend.

Annoying travel note - Is the speed limit in DC highways (295/395/etc) really 40 mph rather than standard 55 mph? If so, why are there so few speed limit signs (I haven't spotted one yet)? I might be looking at a large number of speeding tickets. Yuck.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

hey! I have no idea how I found your blog, but I was there that night and I do remember dancing with you. I think by the time I had gotten to you, you had danced with everybody. Janet was actually the one who pointed you out. And yes, the speed limit is 40 in DC.

see u around..

Rachel

hyh said...

Hi Rachel. I guess you were visiting DC for the holidays also? Nice to have met you and danced with you.

My best guess is that you were doing a search for Estrellas Caiman and noticed the title "DC Dance Collective Second Week Monthly" on the top of the archives. You most likely wouldn't have found this post after I post my first Feb 2009 entry because of the way archives are organized.

See you around wherever whenever...

Rachel said...

I was possibly looking for that... but, no, I was not visiting. I am an original DC salsera... ;)