Cocinando La Salsa

January 30, 2009

The low point – two Reggaeton followed by a birthday dance for Richard and William. It was very busy at the start of the night, but opportunities for dancing had been limited in part because it was so crowded everywhere. It was considerably less crowded now and more people were filing out. I thought about skipping the next song, but Vish never played Ublabadu before – it ended up an On2 dance. At least until then dances not had were more on my mind over ones I had.

I arrived about 15 minutes before the end of the classes. On the way to the DJ booth, I glimpsed Andrea, Richard and a girl who I think was a part of the performance trio tonight. Umm – I guess it was a little more than a glimpse with Andrea, but she gives nice friendly greeting for lotsa people. Haihan was early to arrive as well – apparently quite tired; he stayed in the DJ booth quite a lot.

I kicked it off the night as the first DJ.

Playlist

La Llave – Grupo Latin Vibe
Volver Volver – Grupo Gale
De Todas Maneras Rosas – Ismael Rivera (1)
Isla Del Encanto – Orquesta Broadway
Cuera Maraca Y Bongo – Los Nemus Del Pacifico* (2)
Mirame A La Cara – Miles Pena*
Que Buena Baila Usted – Oscar D’Leon (3)
Periquito Pin Pin – Tommy Olivencia (canta: Hector Tricoche)
Mi Ritmo Es Bueno – Bobby Valentin (4)*
Aguardiente – Mark Dimond* (canta: Angel Canales)
Asia Minor – Machito*
El As De La Rumba – Jose Alberto “El Canario” (5)
Abran Paso – Orquestra Harlow
Mulato Rumbero – Eddie Torres Mambo Kings Orchestra*
Ritmo Sabroso – Alfredo De La Fe & Fruko
Hasta El Fin – Monchy & Alexandra (6)
Bamboleo – Fania All Stars (canta: Celia Cruz)

--showcase-- (7)

Soledad – La 33
Sandunguera – Los Van Van*
Telefono – El Gran Combo*

(1) Ivan is here. Surprise! Ditto Raj and Polly.
(2) Oops. Wrong CD. I meant to play from the first disc of the 2 CD set.
(3) Vish later played this one near the end of the night. There’s more excusable than playing Trucutu by himself twice or for that matter playing Sey by Africando two or three (!) times.
(4) Ivan’s favorite from about a year ago.
(5) Shila asked me where I get music (downloading?). He had a big reaction when I said I buy CDs.
(6) I had been holding off on playing Bachata despite Shila’s request because I thought the showcase was ready to go shortly. I finally gave in.
(7) Duende trio. Danie, Andrea and a third girl I don’t know. Music used was Mi Jeva by Joe Cuba.

Total = 20 songs. 1 Bachata. 20 Salsa including 7 new.

Haihan said I shoud dance with Theresa Tan from Malaysia. Maybe in April, May or June. [note: wrong name, but I've figured it out anyway]

I think who was not there was at least as remarkable as who was there. I overheard that Steph was taking a break. I'll blame coursework for now.

Vish said he wanted to DJ next, but he did not show up so Haihan took over for several songs. Vish did take over afterwards, but he seemed rather absentminded.

Feeling restless yet impaired...

No comments: