About this blog

After struggling with salsa for almost four months with many different teachers, I decided to start documenting what was taught in various classes I attended. The idea of writing down what was taught in class was inspired by a suggestion from Sergio. Because I have a pretty good memory to begin with, this was fairly easy to start with and I got better at it quickly. Soon thereafter, another student was amazed that I could remember so much and started asking me about previous week's routine, etc. This led me to thinking that I should make my notes public because it might help others remember also. For me, it does not take much more time to publish this in a web-log (blog) form; note-taking takes much more time.

These notes will not be very useful for people who did not take the lessons and are not intended to replace real lessons or practice. I suspect it won't be helpful for everyone who took the lessons as well since different people have different methods for learning. It's written more for leaders, but I think this is an understandable bias.

I'd like to thank all my Salsa teachers past and present including:

  • Johnny & Serap, my salsa teachers for the longest amount of time, are technically the most challenging, and I feel we have become good friends.
  • Mauricio taught me the importance of footwork, and I first heard the beat of salsa music in his class. His class was instrumental in me actually starting to dance salsa.
  • Peter's class helped me get comfortable with longer routines at moderate speed and build up my confidence.
  • Helen and Rhona's classes have been great for getting comfortable with dancing at faster pace and with many stylizations.
  • In addition to inspire me to take notes and thus become a better student, Sergio's shines made everyone else's seem easy by comparison.
  • Others, including Enrico, Angelique, Tamambo, Nelson, Cristian and Dee (listed in chronological order) also helped me to varying degrees.

I also thank all my dance partners and other friends I met during lessons, many of whom have been very helpful and supportive.

Last updated April 17, 2005

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your website is being talked about quite a bit at club salsa. Unfortunately for you, not for the best of reasons. People find your dancing very amusing and "weird" has been used by a lot of girls I have spoken to. You lack basic rhythm and there is zero engagement with any of your partners. You seem to have a belief that your ability is more advanced than it actually is. In so far as your dj abilities, I can imagine the sort of music being played through the speakers of a cuban shopping centre. You should sell your cd as a cure for insomnia as it will certainly put people to sleep.

I appreciate that you may have interaction issues as some people have already alluded to, but the sort of stuff you write on your website really isn't going to help you.

I suggest you stop writing about people's ability to dance and try and engage with people face to face. Try and ask for feedback from those you dance with as well. It may make you realise.

Happy to discuss further on flataccount@btinternet.com