Curse of Brit Salsafest created by londonsalsa.co.uk

November 29, 2005

I won again. Yuck.

Now I may be forced to hold off on purchasing a ticket to the Brit Salsafest and risk not getting a group discount by purchasing tickets with other people in Cambridge and also risk the price of tickets going up at the end of the year.

Three names were drawn from the pot. Probably no more than 50 people entered the contest meaning I may have had 6% chance of becoming a semi-finalist. I guess 6% is not bad but winning a game of pure chance has never been my forte so winning two londonsalsa.co.uk contests within a span of 5 weeks almost makes me wonder if the contest was rigged.

Because 6 more weeks of contest remain before winners are announced on January 9th, there likely will be up to 24 semi-finalists in all. Assuming there will be only one winner (which seems reasonable), chances of a semi-finalist winning outright will be approximately 4%. Chances of becoming a semi-finalist should be pretty high; I'm guessing 25% at most with persistence and without cheating (cheating probably will be easy to detect for Phil assuming he cares).

To enter, go to londonsalsa.co.uk to find the relevant article, and send Phil an e-mail with correct answer to his trivia question about various Salsa personalities interviewed. Enter the contest now and enter often; I couldn't care less who the other semi-finalists are as this has absolutely no effect on my chance of winning. This week's interviewed personalities include Shelley, whom I recognize from SOS -- some people have told me that Cambridge Salsa community is small, but I'm beginning to think that UK Salsa community (or even European or World Salsa community) might end up looking very small and incestuous.

By the way, it appears that Phil's site is quickly becoming a vanity site for various Salsa personalities to reveal their personal information with Phil acting as host of webzine. With Salsa Mafia site down indefinitely once again, his forum is seeing fair bit of use as well. On a related topic, I am now including the state of Salsa Mafia site (up or down) in the sidebar mostly to amuse myself.

No comments: