Sharing joys of SOS

June 18, 2006

After some scrambling at work and a quick bite to eat at home, I picked up Agnes at 7 PM. I would have preferred to leave slightly earlier because of roadwork at M11. In any case, I decided to try to new route via A1 and Caledonian Road. It wasn’t a bad route: it took just under 90 minutes to park at the usual spot. However, I think M11 is still preferable if there’s no scheduled roadwork. Caledonian Road part might be worth trying again (via North Circular Road and A503). Incidentally, Mimi opted out complaining of tiredness. I probably drove slower in part because of heavy inquisition from Agnes – at least when she was not distracted by her mobile phone.

When Agnes first took a look at the dancers at SOS, she seemed a bit stunned and intimidated and she admitted as much. Her nervousness showed a little when I gave her a warm-up dance, and I did my best to get her to relax while also show her off. I thought that it would have been easier if there were some leaders I knew reasonably well. But ultimately, I wasn’t too worried, and I decided that the best course of action might be to not worry, find myself other dance partners, and make her look more available for dancing rather than socializing. In no time at all, Agnes was finding plenty of dance partners and seemed to be having a great time.

For me, it was a pretty good SOS night unlike last few times. Only 2-3 dances were disappointing while others were decent or very nice. At this point, it seems like dancing with followers who many would consider excellent no longer guarantees a good dance for me. I am sure I am wrong in some cases, but I suspect that some people get disinterested unless they are dancing with someone exceptional – and I’ll probably never get to that level. No big deal.

Song selections at SOS included at least two Bachata including Te Quiero by Oliver. Amor de Una Noche by N’Klabe was also heard. No Anacaona unlike last two times. As usual, I did not recognize most songs, but I am sure I am far from alone in this. The next to last song for the night was El Cantante by Hector Lavoe (I decided to dance a nice relaxed one for this one singing along at times); I had briefly considered playing this song on Friday (and when I said this to Agnes, she seemed horrified and told me, … what was the quote? “They’ll crucify kill you!” It would be annoying if you don’t have a good dance partner but in reality, it’s no worse than suffering through fusion of 2, 3 or more songs.). The DJ played one more song at 10:30 PM – a slow tune, which allowed me to end the evening on a high note. Agnes told me that she regretted not having the last dance with me (I ended up dancing with her just twice tonight), but she wasn’t exactly being neglected and was having a fantastic and inspirational time (as I expected, she fitted in just fine).

Drive back was fairly relaxing in part because the roads were familiar. Conversations when not interrupted by more phone calls were more gossipy rather than inquisitional.

Miscellaneous. I found out who Shiraz is – my first guess was correct. SOS was fairly empty tonight, but it worked just fine for me. I recognized only one other Cambridge regular (or was it two?). I pointed out Leon Rose (both Leon and Tamambo were there tonight) to Agnes at beginning of the evening but she mistook someone else – this could have had a silly effect, which never came about. This was a pretty good weekend – other good news included USA 1-1 Italy (with two red cards for USA and one red card for Italy) and South Korea 1-1 France. I bet Cyrille is furious. I wonder if I might be the biggest advertisement for SOS in Cambridge.

3 comments:

hyh said...

Okay. That's sounds right. I don't have a perfect memory so my quote isn't always 100% accurate (as you already know from your name fiasco). In fact, I did preface the quote with "what was the quote?" thus showing uncertainty. The end result is the same since a crucified person is supposed to die.

Anonymous said...

i feel misquoted though. please change it!

hyh said...

Done.