Too much name dropping

June 15, 2006

Intermediate with Jay assisted by Lindsey

1,2,3,5,6,7 basic Mambo
1,2,3,5,6,7 CBL ending with semi-open hold
1,2,3,5,6,7 around the world without going into closed hold (open break start, chest-to-chest on 3 with leader positioned to L on 3, turn around on 5 (leader step cross behind) and exchange places again on 6,7
1,2,3,5,6,7 CBL (mambo jazz start or “whoosh”) with R-L low forward on 5 and raised to lead follower into normal CBL 1/2 counterclockwise turn on 6,7 while L-R is kept low so that L-R ends behind follower’s R waist
1,2,3,5,6,7 CBL ending with 1 1/2 clockwise turn with over and under maneuver to get R-L behind follower’s L waist
1,2,3,5,6,7 CBL ending with 1/2 counterclockwise turn for follower to get back to open hold
1,2,3,5,6,7 hop, then hook turn 1/2 clockwise for leader and bring connections down to middle of leader’s back
1,2,3,5,6,7 open break and bring follower forward on leader’s R side and bring follower under R arm – then lead follower backwards immediately on 6,7
1,2,3,5,6,7 open break and bring follower forward on leader’s R side and bring follower under R arm – lead follower into 1 1/2 traveling clockwise turn (letting go L-R of course)
over and under so that follower’s L hand ends behind her R waist – switch to L-L
1,2,3,5,6,7 Copa and lead follower into 1 1/2 Copa counterclockwise turn with L-L and with leader turning 1/2 counterclockwise with L-L ending at about shoulder level to L
1,2,3,5,6,7 high toss to switch from L-L to R-L (leader moves to L side) and lasso
1,2,3,5,6,7 switch places (both moving in counterclockwise walk) and lasso again
1,2,3,5,6,7 switch places (both moving in counterclockwise walk) – keep R-L connected – offer L in front on R side – block follower on 5 and leader turns 1/2 counterclockwise on 6,7 to get back to semi-open hold
1,2,3,5,6,7 CBL and lead follower to 1 1/2 counterclockwise turn with R-L ending behind follower’s R waist
1,2,3,5,6,7 CBL (free L hand on follower’s R shoulder) ending with 1 1/2 counterclockwise turn for follower to get back to open position

It was a night full of mild surprises.

I thought about doing some practices during the second hour but couldn't find a good pretext.

Marie was there for the second hour taking the Improver class without attending the first hour of class at intermediate – presumably to keep company for a friend she brought along. Natalie showed up after the classes with a toe injury that precluded her from dancing. Sam also showed up after the classes with head injury she suffered last night. In any case, Sam was complaining of dizziness, which led her to avoid dancing Salsa. Some others also showed up only after the class as well. Patrick made an appearance after absence of over 6 months or so; I had been meaning to ask someone like Rajiv about whereabouts of Patrick for at least a month. I had guessed that he moved out of Cambridge, but this is not the case. Maria also showed up after a long absence – I managed to keep her standing upright throughout all my dances with her (unlike that debacle at a CDC Salsa class last spring).

My best guess is that the end of exams led many people to come out and celebrate tonight – even if some were not in good condition to dance Salsa.

I had been wondering if Sam was done with Cambridge for good now that she had received her degree (notwithstanding possibility of pursuing an advanced degree). No worries there. Sam apparently will be back as the Salsa team captain along with Mark next academic year, so she’ll have plenty more opportunities to say “Not right now” to me. In any case, I suppose this probably means that the CDC Salsa team captains will be present at Club Salsa more frequently compared to this year. This year’s captains were Maritza and Shiraz, and I am unsure if I have ever seen Shiraz. In fact, I don’t even know if Shiraz is he or she. I have seen Maritza perhaps three or four times this academic year.

Grace… I mean Agnes asked me about SOS. I guess she wants to see more of London Salsa scene before heading off to Singapore. I might see about getting a small group for it this Sunday.

Vishal might have run out Salsa music to play tonight with there being no help as usual from Sally or Chris. He ended up playing 3 Bachata and 1 Merengue. Typically, Thursday nights at Club Salsa are devoted solely to Salsa.

I spent a little time getting more familiarized with the alternate DJ mixer. The usual mixer is apparently away in part because of Vishal’s sister’s wedding this weekend. My guess is that I’ll play larger number of songs I had not played before tomorrow night if nothing else because I’m getting tired of restricting myself last couple of weeks.

I wonder if opportunities for practicing more difficult moves will become fewer during the summer break; this was one reason why I decided to try LDA. Tonight was fine; I even ran out material to practice and couldn't think of more things to try on the spot. It's probably just as well because getting more repetitions probably is quite useful at this moment. Summer looms.

This post is quite gossipy and full of bits that I don't have explicit okay to write about. I think everything is completely harmless, and I hope it's okay. I promise that this won't become the norm.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shiraz was at the club last night.

hyh said...

Thanks. I guess that'd make Shiraz a he, probably one of many men socializing most of the evening and not dancing. Did Shiraz dance?

Anonymous said...

yes

Anonymous said...

He certainly did dance! ;)

Anonymous said...

I didn't dance last night :-(

hyh said...

Oh well. I'm no more clued than before - in fact I'm more confused. I guess I'll find out more in couple of days.