Cars, CDs and videotape

September 4, 2006

Vishal e-mailed me in the afternoon to ask me to DJ even though he was going to be there tonight. Last time, I hinted that he was missing out so I think he was curious to hear what I had added to my playlist. I answered in affirmative thinking that it would be fun.

Intermediate with Joe (first hour)

I skipped the shines section; it involved doing 'grapevine.'

1,2,3,5,6,7 L-R hold open break offering R hand (look at it) and bring follower in on R side letting her overtake by 3 with R-L connection made – downward lead with R-L (letting go L-R) and temporary turn of hand to lead follower to turn 1 1/2 clockwise with minimal traveling – leader ends facing follower’s line from about 3 onwards
1,2,3,5,6,7 offer R hand at about chest level well in front of follower while doing another open break (rumba step) and bring follower forward and let her overtake (leader could move to accommodate part of this overtaking step) while readjusting R-L – on 3 the position is essentially back-to-back with both in crucifix position – bring L-R over and get all connections together to lead follower to turn 1 1/2 clockwise again (again minimizing traveling) and end with leader turning full counterclockwise on 7 to get back to open hold
1,2,3,5,6,7 into CBL while giving R-L hat for follower (and release) – slightly down on 5 with L-R and lead follower to 1 1/2 traveling counterclockwise turn
1,2,3,5,6,7 leader turns 1/2 clockwise on 1,2,3 with L-R going over leader’s head and down to leader’s R side to about chest level – leader turns 1 1/2 counterclockwise on 5,6,7 reconnecting with L-R
1,2,3,5,6,7 finish with simple CBL (or something more difficult if desired)

Very nice challenge - I tried to find a good way to lead the first two parts in variety of ways, but I'm not sure if I have the hang of it. An amusing moment came when Joe decided to put on a song with many transitions for practice. During the second go-around, Joe missed the transition just prior to the go signal and I didn't - this led to me and partner practicing the routine half bar behind everyone else. Funny. I told Joe that he missed a transition, and he replied, "I know."

During the break, I took a look at the composition of the crowd. I thought the turnout was very good for the followers, but not so good for the leaders. I decided to text Cyrille to let him know that it’s a good night. Especially because I was going to DJ and thus would not be able to dance much, I thought it might be good to try to get as many good leaders as possible. Cyrille did show up at the start of the club hours (as did several others competent leaders at around the same time), but until then the ratio looked a little dicey and I was telling Rajiv that he will have to dance more than he normally does.

Intermediate with Joe (second hour)

1,2,3,5,6,7 L-R hold open break offering R hand (look at it) and bring follower in on R side letting her overtake by 3 with R-L connection made – downward lead with R-L (letting go L-R) and temporary turn of hand to lead follower to turn 1 1/2 clockwise with minimal traveling – leader ends facing follower’s line from about 3 onwards
1,2,3,5,6,7 offer R hand at about chest level well in front of follower while doing another open break (rumba step) and bring follower forward and let her overtake (leader could move to accommodate part of this overtaking step) while letting go R-L – lead windmill 1 1/2 clockwise turn (small amount of traveling) for follower ending with leader turning 1/2 counterclockwise with L-R ending on leader’s R shoulder for drop catch to connect R-R
1,2,3,5,6,7 open break and bring follower forward with R-R going over while reconnecting L-L in front – lead follower into full traveling counterclockwise turn ending with half crucifix with R hand on follower’s R shoulder (leader should be positioned slightly to R of follower)
1,2,3,5,6,7 lead follower to step to her L on 1, step back and turn 1/2 clockwise on 2,3 and in continuous motion to make what ends up being 2 1/2 clockwise turn (minimal traveling?) switching around 3 or 4 to R-L and ending with funny hat for follower (R-L ends behind follower’s neck from her R side)
1,2,3,5,6,7 not sure … end with broken left turn and shine?

kick, toe and swivel shine
1 kick to R with L foot
2 toe with L foot (crossed in front of R foot)
3 swivel (turning counterclockwise) with L foot sliding long to L
5 kick to L with R foot
6 toe with R foot (crossed in front of L foot)
7 swivel (turning clockwise) with R foot sliding long to R

In between the class and start of DJing was a little hectic. It looks like I’m not done spending money on automobile-related stuff; I had gotten some long-awaited repairs done this morning. Oh well.

Playlist

La Llave – Grupo Latin Vibe (1)*
Malanga Amarilla – Cachao (2)
Sientate Ahi – Oscar D’Leon (3)
Ojos Chinos – El Gran Combo*
La Agonia – Lebron Brothers (4)*
Mambo Mongo – Mongo Santamaria (Fania version) (-3%)
Babarabatiri – Tito Puente (studio version) (-3%)
Revolucionando – New Swing Sextet (-3%)*
Un Verano En NY – El Gran Combo (-3%) (5)
La Pantera Mambo – La 33 (-3%) (6)
El Quinto De Beethoven – Markolino Dimond (-3%) (7)*
Lamento Boliviano – Toque D’ Keda (8)
Maria Cervantes – Grupo Latin Vibe (9)*
Ran Kan Kan – Tito Puente (Mamborama version) (-2%)
Me Prendiste Velas – Oscar D’Leon (-2%)
Caravan – Pucho and His Latin Soul Brothers (-5%) (10)*
Chan Chan – from Buena Vista Social Club CD (11)*
La Palomilla – Joe Cuba Sextet (12)*
Anacaona – Cheo Feliciano
My Favorite Things – New Swing Sextet*
El Cayuco – Tito Puente (13)*
El Negro Y Ray – Ray Barretto (14)*
Descarga Lebron – Lebron Brothers (15)

(1) I was not thrilled with first few songs Joe put on. Thankfully his last song fit better with my plans.
(2) I played this much louder than last time to good effect.
(3) Luis seemed thrilled with this choice, which was good. Not as good was his repeated suggestion that I play La Pantera Mambo next for next 10-15 minutes or so.
(4) Not the biggest hit tonight, but I think it’s good to mix it up.
(5) Vishal liked this one a lot. He asked for song and artist information.
(6) I guess I gave in.
(7) Most people decided to take a pass. I decided to take the opportunity to dance with Mimi by the way the song demands it – basically going nuts. Cyrille joined in a little later. I think I was being videotaped! I’ll have to ask to see it if possible – I have never seen myself dance before!
(8) Token Bachata; it was requested earlier in the evening.
(9) I had envisioned this possibly as the final song of the evening. I danced to this one too (Zhenzhi this time), but it was not the last song.
(10) Vishal liked this one a lot too and asked for more information on the song.
(11) It was a request from one of the first time visitors – not sure if they qualify as “special” guests; I think they were practicing at least as much as dancing. I thought this could be the last song.
(12) I broke some personal rule on this one because I felt that it fitted very well here. I also envisioned this as possibly the last song.
(13) Token Cha Cha Cha. I didn’t think anyone who hasn’t left yet was going to leave with this one on. I was right (although that says very little).
(14) Last song played in its entirety.
(15) I announced that this would be the last song of the evening. The announcement finally broke up the party. This song was stopped mid-way through and with some DJ tricks by Vishal.

23 songs. 21 Salsa. 1 Bachata. 1 Cha Cha. 12 tracks were new for me.

We finished at midnight. I was slightly surprised that Vishal let it go on and on and on. I suppose he might have wanted to hear as much material from me as possible. There’s always more of course.

It goes without saying that I failed to ask great many people for a dance. I think I also had a fragment of a dance between two classes and one other for the first song during the club hours.

Quote of the day – “I hope it’s one of your long songs.”

Longish – about 6 minutes.

No comments: