SOS before the UK Congress

September 17, 2006

Another train ride to Kings Cross. Alone – as Sergio opted out even though next weekend coincides with the Bognor Regis Congress and thus may not be worthwhile. As London drew closer I thought, “I might not come back to SOS for a long time depending on how this night goes.”

My mood brightened as I entered the Mary Ward Hall. I was glad to see and greet quite a number of friendly faces from both Cambridge (e.g. Sally, Lindsey, Rajiv, Serap and Johnny) and London (LDA buddies). As I was changing my shoes, I noted that the song being played was Si Tu Bailas by Grupo Latin Vibe, which I had planned on playing next Friday.

I was especially happy to see Diane again. Like magic, she spotted me right away as usual. She asked me about the Congress again, and I replied that I won’t be going. Perhaps as a last shot she said, “You only have one life.” That arguably is the problem however. Still barring a calamity I should see her in two weeks. I have no idea why she took an interest in me practically at first sight almost 8 months ago, and I am still amazed.

I also ran into Adam the substitute instructor from Monday. He turned out to indeed to be Adam Leilani, whom I heard about briefly at the londonsalsa.co.uk forum. Diane quipped, “He’s a good dancer.” Yeah, he’s okay. Diane also repeated that my lead continues to improve every time she sees me. And I thought I felt rusty (even though this was my fourth night in a row) and possibly tired. Also I am sure that this opinion is not universally shared – even tonight I could see irritation (or boredom) from a couple of people I danced with. Perhaps most interesting factoid is that I have not had a single thoroughly satisfying dance with Diane (as much as I enjoy dancing and interacting with her) - I always thought I needed to improve a lot more.

It was fairly warm, so I resorted to changing shirts mid-way through. I ran into Adam L as I took off to change. He told me to bring 5 shirts. I didn’t even dance to El Quinto De Beethoven (Cesta All-Stars version)! However, when I returned I found the DJ playing two Cha Cha followed by a Bachata! It was a first for me at the SOS – 3 non-Salsa songs in a row. The DJ was Robert from Mambocity. It was almost not worth changing shirts.

I walked back to Kings Cross with Liam – again talking mostly about music. I established that the SOS DJ Liam liked a lot this summer is indeed Helen’s boyfriend. The clincher? The hairband.

At the train station, I met up with large group of Cambridge people, who ended up sitting in two groups. I spent most of the time on the train talking with Serap – about her new sound system for DJing, general issues about dancing in Cambridge, and Salsa congresses (it seems everyone else is going... minus me, Cyrille, Sergio...).

No comments: