Salsabravo’s fifth anniversary party

September 30, 2006

I came in during the tail end of the Rueda lesson. I didn’t partake in the class although I briefly tried to help someone with a move.

Some of the early part of the evening was spent dancing Rueda in 3 or 4 couple settings. Many songs played early on were Cuban. Johnny was the DJ for the first couple of hours, and I took over for the most of the second half.

Johnny rather than me played my favorite stretch of songs tonight. The songs were Swing La Moderna – Ray Barretto, My Favorite Things – New Swing Sextet, Cachondea – Joe Cuba Sextet (w/ Cheo Feliciano). I only have one of these three songs and have been looking to get the other two for some time now. I have heard Swing La Moderna only once before in its entirity at SOS and Cachondea only in a small clip. The song before these three was pretty good too but I don’t remember (or perhaps know) the song.

Playlist

Sientate Ahi – Oscar D’Leon
El Preso – Fruko Y Sus Tesos (1)
Azuquita Pal Café – El Gran Combo (-2%) (2)*
Perdoname – Gilberto Santa Rosa
Mambo Mongo – Mongo Santamaria (Fania version) (-2%)
La Rueda – Frankie Ruiz (3)
Hong Kong Mambo – Tito Puente (4)
Poinciana Cha Cha – Cal Tjader (5)*
Anacaona – Cheo Feliciano
Malanga Amarilla – Cachao (6)
Un Poquito Mas – Jimmy Bosch (7)

Johnny played two more songs for the dance competition, a Cuban song followed by La Cura – Frankie Ruiz maybe?

Amor Perfecto – El Gran Combo (8)
Thinking Of You – Lenny Kravitz (9)
La Llave – Grupo Latin Vibe (10)

Johnny played a Merengue followed by a Bachata upon a request

Contigo – Cache (11)
Desnudate Mujer – Frankie Ruiz (12)
Otra Oportunidad – Jimmy Bosch (13)

(1) This was relatively and surprisingly unpopular.
(2) I wondered if the last song was unpopular because of its speed so I slowed this one.
(3) This was also somewhat unpopular. Given that Mambo Mongo was received well, I am now thinking that the problem may be with too much familiarity or with these songs just not offering enough of anything. If I had to take back some songs from tonight’s list, this and El Preso would be the candidates; I’m okay with all others.
(4) So I tested my hypothesis with a classic Mambo. This was popular. I haven’t heard this song in a club since May this year.
(5) Cha Cha. I also considered Sonando by Poncho Sanchez before opting for a shorter song. This song was well received. Pete was warned in advance and he was the only one dancing for first half minute or so but many others joined in eventually. I thought I heard one person exclaim, “Nice,” at the end.
(6) Pete commented, “You have a weird taste.” Stephanie said, “This is my favorite song. You have to dance with me,” followed by “Hurry. Just put any old song for next.” I liked all of the comments. Also this means there are at least 3 big fans of this song in Cambridge.
(7) This was the first song for the Salsa competition. I was standing in the DJ booth. Very few people were dancing as competitors – maybe 3 couples including Serap leading Stephanie. Serap motioned me to take over her place so I did. Originally there was to be two songs played – one NY/LA and one Cuban, but it ended up being three songs. I had many nice dances with Stephanie tonight, and these dances for the competition were all below average for us by tonight’s standard – probably because of extra pressure. Also we might have been a bit tired by this point in the evening. I must have danced with her for as many as 10 songs tonight and these were the last three. My previous record probably is 6 with one person in a single night. Also I think these were my dance numbers 20, 21 and 22 (out of 24 total possibly – there might have been more) for the evening – quite a lot by recent standards. By the end of the evening, I was beginning to wonder if I was going to tire myself out too much for SOS tomorrow.
(8) I threw this one in a hurry.
(9) Johnny requested melodic songs for the rest of the evening.
(10) This was approved.
(11) I thought the Bachata could have been the last song but I threw this one on anyway. Cambiz came by to comment (nice things) about last few songs I played.
(12) Another song thrown in a hurry.
(13) Surely this is the last one. No. Johnny decided to play one more. I suggested that he choose the final song. He chose La Pantera Mambo by La 33.

Johnny informed me that Stephanie and I made it to the finals. For whatever its worth, Stephanie and Serap (and possibly one other) were the only followers highly proficient primarily in CBL style present tonight (although as is the case in Cambridge, many followers are proficient more or less with both CBL and Cuban). Apparently Stephanie was in Germany recently where she became quite accustomed to everyone having gentle leads (as well as having improved a great deal as I mentioned the other day).

The party ran a bit longer than advertised and ended around 12:30 AM.

No comments: