School’s back in session

October 5, 2006

Advanced with Sally


1,2,3,5,6,7 CBL and 1 1/2 traveling counterclockwise turn for follower
1,2,3,5,6,7 open hold – leader turns 1/2 clockwise into open CBL position and lead follower into full traveling counterclockwise turn with hands/connections by follower’s shoulders in a wrap
1,2,3,5,6,7 prepare on 1,2,3 (keeping follower looking ahead rather than turning around – don’t pull follower back – also I think twist especially on 1 is superfluous and possibly destabilizing) and lead follower forward on 4 into 2 1/2 counterclockwise over and under turn with L-R ending behind follower’s L waist
1,2,3,5,6,7 open break to bring follower in and let follower unwrap with 1 1/2 clockwise traveling turn (I think Sally may have asked for 2 1/2 but for social dancing purposes, 1 1/2 may be nicer and gives follower a minor reprieve) – leader turns away from follower in clockwise turn and switching to R-R
1,2,3,5,6,7 open break and bring follower in on leader’s R side with R-R going over follower’s head and L-L connection made briefly in front – use R-R to lead follower into 1 1/2 counterclockwise traveling turn with free L hand on follower’s L shoulder to stop follower from overturning
1,2,3,5,6,7 this is tricky – follower is turning on 2,3 (there is no usual 1,2 preparation (?) – leader is somehow supposed to convey that a quick turn is being led here using R-R positioned to R and perhaps also with L hand being where it is as twin signals – not sure if this works easily – I have tried leading similar move but with a full turn starting on 3 rather than 2 … taken from LDA 3.3) for 1 1/2 stationary clockwise turn with R-R over and under to get R-R in front of follower’s stomach and to her L waist – hmm… I wonder if the turn could be started on 3 with follower landing forward on 5 with leader absorbing momentum – in any case follower is led straight back either on 5,6,7 (or perhaps 6,7 could work as well) with leader stepping into follower’s space and turning clockwise to face follower and switching to L-R
1,2,3,5,6,7 open break and bring follower in into closed hold and move as unit full clockwise (Sergio in a conversation over dinner called this a spot turn)
1,2,3,5,6,7 continue turning as unit clockwise
1,2,3,5,6,7 finish with CBL (somewhat like Dile que no might work)

Some comments from Sally included bits like do not pull follower back (during the preparatory part for the third measure) and excellent control but try to add more feeling (for the last maneuver ... I would say that adding feeling is easier with music and while in flow with the dance).

Sergio had suggested having a dinner after the class, so I met him at Chez Gerald at 9 to make full use of a £15 voucher he had. Nice meal. Better French Fries compared to McDonalds. I’m glad I didn’t ask for ketchup. One major topic was about challenges and possible approaches to teaching leading and following technique. Others included benefits and detriments of having structure (e.g. lines). We made it back shortly after 10.

The club was in full swing when we were back. School’s back in session! Notable returnees (who had been missed for few months) included Agnes, Mark and Nina. It was very lively.

I was somewhat surprised that Cyrille didn’t show but learned that he apparently cut his hand and was in a hospital getting treatment until 4 in the morning(?!).

Quote of the day 1 – “Please don’t quote me.”

Hmm. Let me see. I think that this was the second time you asked not to be quoted. Perhaps this really quote-worthy but it’s my blog so I can do whatever I want – as long as it doesn’t cause trouble. For whatever it’s worth, I hear such sentiment often and have heard it for so long that I almost think I could get away with repeating Homer Simpson and say “You’ve said it so many times that it’s lost all its meaning.” – except that I am still very flattered especially coming from someone so fabulous.

Quote of the day 2 – “It’s nice and peppy … in a good way … not the way donkey climbs either.”

Slightly unexpected. Mambo Of The Times – Joe Cuba Sextet.

Hmm… I just remembered that there were so many great people to dance with yet so little time that I didn’t even get a chance to ask at least 3 people I meant to ask. Yet at a later point I jokingly told Sergio that I might have to start leading him.

An interesting dance or two involved using almost nothing but a very high level of tension to have a fairly pleasant dance.

Pretty good music, especially early on until the beginning of Salsa Romantica, etc. overdose towards the end. Shakira (lambada-zouk?) was a surprise.

Apparently the Penguin is ready and was used. I missed it. Too busy dancing most of the time.

There was also a talk of SOS (and I thought I was going to try to cut down on SOS). I also forgot to get back to some people on this topic. Maybe tomorrow.

No comments: