Linear Asymptote

August 17, 2008

I had considered taking part in one of the classes so I arrived early. Then I looked at the gender ratio and the start of the routine and said to myself, “Forget it.”

More I think about it, more I dislike how most Salsa classes are run. I dislike having multiple classes in the same room. I dislike routine-based classes, which often end up being choreographed. I dislike all the practices being done only at speed never heard at club setting and generally only twice for the entire class. I did not quite go into so much detail, but I ended up having a discussion about this with a guy sitting next to me waiting for the social to start.

As far as SOS goes, this was below average in every way. Music was below average for both SOS and for Julian the Duke. The followers were fewer in number. The general level of dancing was lower. No Tamambo. No Leon. No Mauro. Songs (somewhat more middlebrow or mainstream than usual by SOS standard in my opinion) included Cosas Nativas (Frankie Ruiz), Cuando Te Vea (German Villarreal), Fragilidad, Hace Tiempo (a cover version rather than the Angel Canales original), Malaguena Salerosa (Eddie Palmieri), Hong Kong Mambo (Tito Puente), Avisale A Mi Contrario (Tito Rodriguez), Tu Amor Hace Bien (Marc Anthony), Umbando Soy (Willie Melendez – DJ Duste remix), two Bachata, two Cha Cha and one or two songs sounding almost like a Cuban Son or Timba.

Well – what can one do? Below average or even the worst SOS outing generally means better dancing than most other weeklies, and I did have an itch to scratch. Combining relatively small number of followers and the fact that I was trying to dance more than usual meant I ended up dancing twice with three different followers – a rather unusual happening; I could very well have done the same with 2-3 more people.

Am I still learning and improving? I think so. However, the rate of improvement has dwindled considerably, and I don't think much can be done about it - aside from moving to a much bigger scene.

No comments: