This is the end, this is not the end

July 31, 2008

The evening started at Teri-Aki and The Castle with colleagues before I decided it was time to head off to CS. Ivan was a surprise no-show (out of town). Sergio was not a big surprise no-show also.

I wore my glasses to CS and teased Sally for not having done the same. She might not have remembered that we never actually agreed to wear glasses.

Fairly large number of people showed up to make the evening lively enough. Lindsey, Nicola, Charlotte, Annette, Sally, Jane, Haihan, Raj, Richard, Caroline, Steve, William, Clara, Zhenzhi, Euvian, Polly, Andrea, Emma, Chris, Steve, Johnny, Laura, Becca, Ed, Dimitrios, Weishun, Ian, etc.

After Sally played half dozen songs or so, Haihan looked like he might be ready to take over. However, he turned it over to me saying he would like to dance a little first. I already had a few dances and was ready to go, so I agreed.

Playlist

Boranda - Sonora Poncena (shortened remix) (1)*
Todas Maneras Rosas - Ismael Rivera*
Macho Perez - Hector Tricoche
Un Poquito Mas - Jimmy Bosch (2)
Mundy Baja - El Gran Combo
Isla Del Encanto - Orquesta Broadway (3)
En El Balcon - New Swing Sextet (shortened remix) (4)*
Chango Ta Beni - Willie Rosario
Si La Ven - Sonora Poncena*
Guayacan Pasodobles - Orquesta Guayacan* (5)
La Boda De Ella - Bobby Valentin
Avisale A Mi Contrario - Roberto Roena
El Cantante Y La Orquesta - Angel Canales (6)
Geisha Girl - Louie Ramirez
La Loma Del Belen - Santiago Ceron (7)
Guayaba - Jose Curbelo* (8)
Descarga Cubana - Cal Tjader (9)
Tu No Me Has Vista Miguel - Javier Vazquez / Sonora Matancera(?)
Blue Mambo - Charles Fox (DJ Duste remix)* (-8%)
Ajiaco Caliente - Eddie Palmieri*
Guaguanco Margarito - Tito Puente
Los Caminos De La Vida - Ismael Miranda & Junior Gonzalez
Pecado - Toque D Keda (10)

(1) It's not exactly new; I played it once before. However, this is the debut of the shortened version with more than a minute shaved off from the middle of the song.
(2) I haven't played this since 2006. I don't know if this was played at the last Salsology event where Jimmy was a main attraction.
(3) I didn't expect to feel compelled to dance to this. Then again, as soon as I took to the floor I was joined by several more couples.
(4) Long bit of intro and ending cut off. I could have shortened at the DJ booth, but decided to make a shortened version to save myself some trouble. The album has been out for less than one month.
(5) It was a good thing that I had a ready-made excuse - a girl made a strong plea for a Merengue. This is not exactly it, but it made defending the choice easier on the spot. I was going to play it for laughs regardless.
(6) First song to be played all night because of outside influence. Even then the choice was really up to me.
(7) It was between this and Lindo Yambu by the same artist. I opted for faster shorter song.
(8) A Cha Cha request.
(9) Another song I haven't played since 2006.
(10) The last song officially. I decided to play the beginning of Borinquen (Sonora Poncena) with potential long Tango intro as background music.

Total = 23 songs. 1 Merengue/Pasodoble new, 1 Cha Cha new. 21 Salsa including 6 new. There were more new songs than it would have been on a Friday because some of the songs would not have been difficult to play on Friday as it stands right now - at least not so many at one time. The fact that I haven't played many songs this month while still accumulating new songs also made a difference.

The evening ended with Sally's crew trying to recall their performance piece to La Salsa Nunca Se Acaba.

No comments: