It's the dancer, not the style

October 31, 2008

Halloween on a Friday might not be the ideal Salsa night because everyone and their friends will have their own party. Heck, CS wasn’t the only place holding a “special” Salsa party in Cambridge this time. It did bring in more people dressed up in costumes compared to previous years, however. I didn’t wear a costume. I did wear a shirt I had never worn before – Vish seemed to like it. It was a little itchy.

Quick roundup. Singapore – no. Royston – yes. The team – no, no and no with one exception from an old captain. Hardcore Cubans – no again except for the heads. So what did that leave? The hardcore regulars – the ones you can more or less depend on every week and have been doing so since before my time. I suppose the new regulars – Big, Small, Penguin-shirt, the new Asians, the beautiful Liars, etc. Sharon, Will, Lorraine.

Dancing highlight. My first dance in some 776 days made me exclaim, “Finally!” Was it worth the wait? Yes. I could have danced with her all night. Did I? No. I am not exactly popular with some crowds, and I think some of their brain might explode if I tried and succeeded. It might be akin to trying to subvert one of the revered leaders of a rival religion. Can’t we agree that good people are good regardless of their religion and move on?

I found myself on the front row for the return of the human vibrator inadvertently. Yes, I’m referring to Leandro, who was as entertaining as last time.

Playlist

La Paella – Jose Alberto “El Canario” (1)
La Cartera – Orchestra Harlow
Clasiquiendo Con Ruben – Afro-Cuban All-Stars
Solo Se Que Tiene Nombre De Mujer – Angel Canales
Chanchullo – Fania All-Stars
Miye Na We – Africando
Descarga Cubana – Cal Tjader
Si Tu Te Vas – Juan Luis Guerra
Hoja En Blanco – Monchy & Alexandra*
Perla Fina – Monguito*
Guaguanco Del Gran Combo – El Gran Combo
Ahora Si – Ismael Miranda
El Jibaro – Orquesta Flamboyan* (2)

(1) This got Joe to sing along. I saw Leandro dance to this one and Angel Canales later.
(2) Ouch. This was a poor Cha Cha dance for me.

Total = 13 songs. 1 Merengue. 1 Bachata new. 2 Cha Cha including 1 new. 9 Salsa including 1 new.

Vish played two more Cha Cha after me. I think it means there may have been more Cha Cha played than Merengue, Bachata, or Reggaeton tonight. Salsa was abandoned after 2.

No comments: