Now There Is One

November 14, 2008

Mood; feeling a little stretched. Time is tight. So many uncertainties. It’s times like these where I think lack of attachments is … allows for limiting compromises. Whatever. I know nothing.

Cambridge is down to one Salsa party for Friday night. At least for tonight, it seemed to mean a more lively and crowded mix with everyone under one roof. Possibly it will mean less number of people staying home. Who knows?

I arrived after the classes ended for a change. It meant I parked away from my usual spot – in a different area altogether. I did not come close to hitting anyone’s car for whatever its worth. It reminds me – I would not be surprised if Station Road is one of the worst places to leave your car. On two different occasions, I came back to find (1) one of my wing mirrors on the pedestrian’s side destroyed (as if someone on a bicycle on the pavement or sidewalk ran into it) and (2) my front windshield cracked. In both cases, I would guess that vandalism was as likely as accident.

Mark, Jane (new haircut) and Steph were all quite early in arriving. No Haihan. Johnny was there, but no Serap once again. I don’t want to start a silly rumor but I’m beginning to wonder if Serap is expecting. I could be completely off base here, and please take this as idle speculation. The Cuban contingent was more heavily represented than it has been in recent weeks. Latinos (mostly new faces to me) were quite heavily represented as well – especially earlier in the evening. Also there were a lot of familiar faces but different from last week. Mauricio is becoming a regular.

As usual Joe played as the DJ first. His selections were somewhat schizophrenic. His selections I recognized included Swing A La Moderna (Mandingo Y Su Son), Rebelion (not Joe Arroyo version), Aicha (not Africando), No Es Una Novela (Monchy & Alexandra), Playa No More (remix?). Steph and I danced to two of the less bland songs played by Joe – both were On1. Vishal played few songs next including a version of Me Libere and Asia Mood (or was it Nina Y Senora?). I only got around to the DJ booth around 12:30.

Playlist (el numero cien)

Loco De Amor – Evolucion A R
El Cantante – Marc Anthony*
Lluvia Con Nieve – Mon Rivera
Dejate Querer – Jose Alberto “El Canario”
Caballero Y Dama – Celia Cruz & Willie Chirino
Silencio – Chivirico Davila
A La Yumbae – Tommy Olivencia
Perdios – Monchy & Alexandra
Disco Azucar – Los Van Van (1)
Preparen Candela – Willie Rosario
[Eye 2 Eye – Grupo X] (2)
El Yoyo – La Charanga New York (-5%)
Quiero A Morir – Dark Latin Groove (DLG)
La-La-La – Direct Latin Influence (3)
Dime Que Quieres – El Gran Combo
Musica Ligera – Toque D Keda (4)
Luna Negra – Rey Ruiz
Una Mulata En Habana – Adalberto Alvarez Y Su Son (5)
A El – Oscar D’Leon
Quiero Llenarte – Frankie Ruiz (6)
Perdoname – Gilberto Santa Rosa

(1) I had this slotted earlier (at Caballero Y Dama slot). I took it off the list, and then summoned it again while Perdios was being played.
(2) Marc asked me to play this from his CD. It sounds exciting, but it is quite fast as Cha Cha. Since it’s not mine, I won’t include it in the summary.
(3) I danced to this one. One interesting note is that it was the only On2 dance of the night with someone outside the “usual suspects” list to boot. It was the second dance of the evening with the same person.
(4) Song info request – second time for this song. I think I might be the only person here who plays this one.
(5) Yup. Another Cuban tune. Son this time.
(6) Jane was spoken for. I think this means I’ll be going without dancing with her for well over a month given GBSEx and Athens.

Total = 20 songs. 3 Bachata. 1 Merengue. 16 Salsa including 1 new.

p.s. I learned that I now have a nephew named Anderson.

No comments: