Start of Another Long Weekend

November 21, 2008

Opera and Shakira. Odd mix, I know. It has been that kind of week - staring down the chasm, hanging on in quiet desperation. Running but never catching up and getting shorter of breath.

Remarkable was the number of people who opted not to go to Manchester. Presumably Mark, Jane, Haihan, Ed and Sally’s gang went, but more surprising were who stayed behind.

I don’t know how much the recent economic turmoil has affected matters and whether depression is more a state of mind rather than a reality in people’s pocketbooks. What is certain was that this party with invited performance by Miguel and Mayana was no disaster.

The Royston trio was here. Steve says he’s feeling better after having his food allergy diagnosed. I’ve had other friends with similar problems – I think it has to rank among the worst kind of allergy to have.

Vish was away but only because he went to Lithuania rather than Manchester. Presumably he’s boozing and partying hard as well as working as DJ and instructor. It means another Saturday outing for me. Joy.

Big revealed himself as Dan. Actually Steph already told me last weekend. She also told me about Robin. What was new was Small as Kafe (spelling uncertain). Dan is the leader for the 2008 rookie of the year and quite possibly ‘da man’ by this time next year. These Cambridge-based fast-risers are infrequent – I think it fair to compare Dan to the likes of Liam, Chris and Hayden.

I was complimented on my timing. Funny thing is that I feel a little iffy about my On2 timing right now. I have resorted to experimenting what feels better during what little social dancing opportunities available. Better would be a more formal instruction or refresher from a trusted source.

Steph suggested that we (as in a larger group back at Coventry) had the same argument about timing during Miguel and Mayana’s performance. Miguel danced socially with rather large number of people with his gap-toothed smile in short time he was available. My first On2 dance of the night was with Mayana. Naturally Liam's inappropriate comment was remembered.

Johnny and Serap both made it tonight. Serap looks unchanged. I had two dances with her – the second as Miguel and Mayana were leaving but not without a bit of bantering.

The unlikely and delightful German Rock-n-Rolla Natalie was back. Too bad I’m such an old curmudgeon. Did we have a German trio tonight – with Steph being another unlikely German?

Steph might have spent as much time chatting as dancing whether it was with Raj, Dan, Robin or others. I’ll have to ask her later about her dances with Joe.

I feel even less enthusiastic about Athens than I did about Hamburg (or perhaps a more accurate phrase would be “I find it difficult to believe that I am going, and I doubt I will find the trip to be of any significance - even more so than I had felt about Hamburg.”)

Playlist

Cuando Te Vea – German Villarreal (1)
Anacaona – Cheo Feliciano
No Aguanto Mas – Celia Cruz & Johnny Pacheco
Hasta El Fin – Monchy & Alexandra
Brujeria – Mark Dimond (2)
Night In Tunisia – Sonora Poncena
Evil Ways – Cal Tjader* (3)
Bilongo – Charanga De La 4 (refined shortened remix)
Somos Iguales – Spanish Harlem Orchestra*
Esposa Y Querida – Lebron Brothers* (4)
Descarga Cachao – Tito Rodriguez (-8%)
Si Tu Te Vas – Juan Luis Guerra
Te Extrano – Extreme
Pastorita – Conjunto Yumuri
Macho Perez – Hector Tricoche
Ntoman – Africando
La Llave – Grupo Latin Vibe
Ahora Quien – Marc Anthony (5)
Guallando – Fulanito (6)
Lamento Boliviano – Toque D Keda
Whenever Whenver – Shakira* (7)
Otra Oportunidad – Jimmy Bosch
Quiero Enamorarte – Marco Ferretti
Chan Chan – Buena Vista Social Club (8)
Ojala Que Llueve CafĂ© – Juan Luis Guerra
Yo No Engano A Las Nenas – Eddie Palmieri* (9)
I Wanna Love You – Pablo Bachata
Rompe – Daddy Yankee
La Tortura – Shakira*
A La Memoria Del Muerto – Fruko Y Sus Tesos* (10)
Ven Tu – Domenic Marte

(1) I switched the first two songs in their order after having written it down. Joe noticed. It was done because I decided that the third song should be a Merengue.
(2) An occasional challenge is good in my opinion. Robin and Dan both struggled – maybe Dan less so. I played this song a little over one year ago.
(3) Essentially a request. I mostly shined with Steph.
(4) I had not realized until I started on the blog that I had never played this song or the song before. I guess they were buried in the list of “songs to play at some time in the future” for a very long time.
(5) A change of plan from Valio La Pena for a dance.
(6) Mauricio is still around for what I think of as his theme song.
(7) First time using my own CD.
(8) This or the song before was supposed to be the last song. Bulbul wanted to carry on to 2:30.
(9) Essentially a request – for Demetrios.
(10) By this point, I’m trying to drive people away rather than keep the party going. I’m tired.

Total = 31 songs. 5 Bachata. 4 Merengue. 1 Reggaeton. 2 “new” Shakira. 2 Cha Cha both new. 16 Salsa including 3 new. I had more or less given up on playing Salsa for almost an hour at the end.

No comments: