Snowy White

February 6, 2009

Snowy week – it snowed on Sun, Mon, Thu and Fri. The final MOT was done after three trips. Soaking was not fun. Am I losing weight?

At CS, I arrived shortly before the final practice song. I picked Abandoname Fue (Orchestra Harlow) with more than half minute at the start cut off.

Playlist

La Muy Muy – Roberto Torres (1)
Me Gusta Todo – Los Nemus Del Pacifico*
Se Me Fue – Conjunto Yumuri (2)
A El – Oscar D’Leon
Almendra – German Villarreal
Ponme El Alcolado Juana – El Gran Combo
Mary – Joe Arroyo
Campanero – Jose Mangual Jr
Mentira – Cheo Feliciano*
Perico Macona – Angel Canales (3)
Alonzo – Cal Tjader (4)

Total = 11 songs all Salsa including 2 new.

(1) Both Mark and Jane are here early. Both may have been involved with teaching.
(2) Ivan is here again – second week in a row.
(3) Vishal used the same song as his second or third Salsa selection – it was completely unexpected given he never played it before and I haven’t played it in over a year. His selections tonight felt carefully chosen in my opinion.
(4) I haven’t played this in more than 2 years – it was something of a disaster back then. Anyhow I danced with Jane to this one. It was arguably the most musically satisfying On2 dance I’ve had anywhere to date. The only downside was that it was the first dance of the night for me, and I knew right away that there was nowhere to go but down from then onwards.

No Haihan today so Vish was the DJ for the remainder of the evening. I'll probably have a longer set next week.

Mark mentioned near the end of the evening that he liked the songs I played. I didn’t think there was anything special initially, but how frequently I play these songs. Considering the last time I played these songs, two songs were played two weeks ago, three songs more than two or three months ago, two songs about 5-7 months ago, and two songs more than a year ago. In addition, it’s a surprise when someone else uses these songs on their playlist.

No doubt the frequency of play would increase if I were a real DJ working longer hours and more nights, but as it stands these songs are far from getting spoiled by overuse. I might add that even though I say that I haven’t heard any other DJ use many of these songs, all but one of the songs are recommended by salsanewyork.com – so it’s not like they’re being picked from nowhere (in fact it indicates to me that the I wasn’t being particularly adventuresome by New York standards).

Tonight was a night for dance rejections. I had three for Periodico De Ayer (Vish played this after Todo Tiene Su Final) and another three for another song – it might have been Bilongo by Eddie Palmieri. Vish’s other selections included Castigala, Sey, Africando, Clave Mambo, Ping Pong (?), Me Libere remix, Caballo Viejo, Fragilidad, Lo Bonito Y Lo Feo, a song somewhat similar to Cairo except much longer. There were three On2 dances – first time with Sharon.

Itchy.

No comments: