Late Arrival

February 13, 2009

Haihan said, “I thought you weren’t coming.”

“Because I’m so late?” – it was nearly 11 PM.

I continued, “I didn’t leave Gurdon until 9:30.”

I had been working in Cambridge proper all week and working quite intensively too. I don’t think I’ve had many such intense days in a row since leaving Boston. Maybe there were a day or two in row here and there, but even those have been relatively rare.

Anyhow a week outside normal environment meant some unusual experiences. The awful catering service in transition led to lunches at Downing College and Savino’s with referral from Sergio. I might have bicycled in snow possibly for the first time – I don’t recall for sure if I ever did this in Portland. I discovered the joy of drafting (or slipstreaming).

Compared to past Valentine’s parties, this one wasn’t particularly crowded thus there was plenty of space to dance. Quite a few regulars from past year were missing – out of town, out of mind or possibly intending to go to the CDC Salsa Ball instead. I didn’t learn about the CDC Salsa Ball until tonight, and because of work I think I’m more likely not to attend than to attend.

Joe was back. Vish was in Lithuania. The DJs were in order Joe, Shorty, Haihan then me. Johnny was off for his own party. Steph was complaining that she wasn’t taking a break from dancing and that she had been drowning with dance practices (more hip hop). She also used a cold/flu excuse just like Sergio. No Liam – at least not tonight.

I think I might have had more On2 dances than On1 dances tonight. It was pretty close in number. The number of partners might have been greater for On1 – there were three On2 partners. The On2 dances with Steph were not a fiasco like the last time – three of the better dances were to Ojos Chinos remix (played by Shorty), Erben On The Phone (opener by Haihan), and Titoro. Haihan finished with Evil Ways (Cal Tjader), and I took over around 1 AM.

Playlist

Mambo For Vibes – Hilton Ruiz
Ay Amor, Cuando Hablan Las Miradas – Orquesta Guayacan
Titoro – Bobby Montez* (-3%)
Guallando – Fulanito
Impacto – Daddy Yankee
Te Extrano – Extreme
Hong Kong Mambo remix – Tito Puente (DJ Duste Remix Re-cut)
Canto Al Amor – Sonora Poncena
Bailando – Frankie Ruiz
Una Mulata En La Habana – Adalberto Alvarez
Lindo Yambo – Santiago Ceron
Lloraras – Oscar D’Leon
Luna Negra – Rey Ruiz

Total = 13 songs. 1 Merengue, 1 Reggaeton, 1 Bachata, 10 Salsa including 1 new. I danced to Titoro, Canto Al Amor, Lindo Yambu and Luna Negra.

A trio of drunk guys begged me to play one more to have fun and make fool of themselves dancing. I chose Guayacan Pasodobles (scrached section in my CD removed).

No comments: