Club Salsa Is Dead, Long Live Club Salsa?

March 13, 2009

I was expecting it (just imagine Cambridge is Manhattan) - heck I could even claim to have argued for it in my conversation with Vish, but it still came as a surprise to me.

Of course it is a surprise if I make the usual drive with no notion of anything being amiss only to see a closed door and no sign of life. On a window next to the door was a sign - Due to change in management Club Salsa is closed - or something like that.

A brief lookaround showed that the signage above was changed - electric sign was replaced with a banner. All the photos facing the outside window was gone. I would guess that the sound system was largely gone inside.

At least it gave me time to do grocery shopping and then do some cleaning (actually more organizing than cleaning) at home.

Obviously I don't have the first-hand information on what's going on, but this is what one can find out from the clubsalsa.co.uk website (which Vish still owns) and JC's Salsa/Tango Cambridge website or by the usual suspect Facebook wall posts.

Vishal's Club Salsa Friday is moving to Sorrento Hotel for now starting next week. The weekender appears to be on - more news to appear at the Club Salsa website later. The classes on Mondays, Wednesday, Thursdays and Saturdays are in limbo.

What about the old Club Salsa? Who knows? Maybe it'll stay a Salsa club run by someone else. Maybe not. Maybe I'm being flippant, but I have very little stake in this matter.

[Updates. The weekender is truncated. Friday showcase is on, but Saturday and Sunday events are cancelled. Also the Wednesday team may be looking for a new venue in consultation with Vish.]

No comments: