I’m a stranger here myself

March 27, 2009

Mari (or was it Sam?) asked me if I was going to miss Cambridge. Not going by past history. I imagine I will think about some people from time to time, and I expect I will remember many people if I run into them again. Aside from some people (many already gone) and being able to visit other parts of Europe with relative ease, I probably will miss the sunsets well past 9 PM in June.

I wonder why I told Jo that I won’t be in early in the morning. I had forgotten that the Friday nights no longer last until 2 in the morning. Just trying to get whatever that can be done would and should keep me occupied until the very last minute. Even tonight it took an effort to get to the new venue by shortly after 10.

By the time I arrived Kafe was acting as the DJ. No sign of Joe. Vish is away in Lithuania once again – he had asked me not to mention it in advance. The music felt mostly Saturday type with a smattering of classics. For most part I would guess that the kind of music Kafe finds exciting only has a small overlap right now. It was pretty cool seeing Cumbia danced in what I imagined was traditional way – as opposed to dancing Salsa to Cumbia.

I continued down the path of distancing myself from the scene. It has been going on for more than a year. A year ago, I thought I was going to be leaving in 6 months. At no times since then did I ever think that I would be here for more than 9 months. Thus there had been very little incentive for me to make new friends while old friends moved away or drifted away from the scene here. I think I have done an excellent job at becoming a stranger here.

It should be interesting to see how things go back in the States. Would I keeping going out Salsa dancing? Would not having a daily Salsa blog lead me to become less interested in it? I would imagine that I wouldn’t have the reason to think about it when not dancing. It should be liberating in some sense not to have to worry about people getting offended by whatever I write – Rich was giving me unnecessary advice and could have saved himself a lot of time writing had he known about the future of the blog as I outlined in the Resolution Jam post (well – maybe he derived pleasure writing all that stuff).

What about Club Salsa? Is Sauce the future of Club Salsa? Apparently the Monday and Wednesday classes will be held at Sauce. It’s beautiful. It’s such a minimal move – just next door to the old location. Wednesday classes and party will start on April 1st – no joke. Heck, even next Friday’s party will be at Sauce rather than Sorrento Hotel due to availability. Mondays at Sauce start on April 6. Hilarious.

There is one more Cambridge post to go for April 17 (unless I end up at the Sauce on April Fools). Exit stage left.

No comments: