This really is getting easy despite plethora of turns for leaders - Johnny & Serap Advanced

June 10, 2005

1,2,3 start of standard cross body lead
5,6,7 lead follower across as if for normal cross body lead while I turn 1/2 clockwise (maybe starting ~7) and change to R-R hold – on 8, follower is positioned to my right and slightly back
1,2,3 push follower back on 1 and pull follower forward on 2,3 while I move to right on 2,3 and turn so that we’re essentially at open hold basic position
5,6,7 hook turn (full turn clockwise) and switch to L-R (kept low)
1,2,3 pivot turn (full turn clockwise) and switch back to R-R as this is slowly raised from 3 onwards so that
5,6,7 R-R is raised high to lead follower to a pivot turn (clockwise full turn)
1,2,3 pivot turn (half turn clockwise) with R-R kept high
5,6,7 lead follower to a pivot turn (full clockwise turn) while facing away from the follower (both initially facing same direction with follower behind me) then turn counterclockwise for half turn to face follower again – as for leading, R-R with palm facing the ceiling initially should be moved first to right on 1 and then make a clockwise circular motion to lead the follower to her turn – when R-R reaches left-most position on ~7, palm should be facing me) [note: this move rarely works on the dance floor in my experience thus far]
1,2,3 get to a crossed hold with L-L on top and initiate cross body lead
5,6,7 lead follower straight ahead to a full clockwise turn and get into Titanic position (with both hands outstretched)
1,2,3 hands lowered and raised to ~ shoulder level
5,6,7 throw R-R downwards and to right to signal follower for a free 1 1/2 clockwise turn, perform a hook turn myself

I’ve seen elements of this routine in various Intermediate classes by Johnny. I think only the first 5,6,7 bit (with 1/2 clockwise turn and change of hands during the second half of cross body lead) is the only thing I didn’t see in any of the Intermediate classes. Of course, I’ve been using this move (with 3/4 turn instead of 1/2 turn to get back to basic position with R-R hold) for past several weeks now. Anyhow, this meant that this routine was routine (very easy except for there being so many turns for the entire hour). It made me wonder if Johnny’s routines are getting simpler rather than me simply getting better. However, perhaps in part because of tight space, I couldn't lead this with people outside the class.

Incorporating Roca didn’t work particularly well tonight. Then again, Coca cola didn’t work well in general tonight (presumably due to combination of space, quality of followers I tried it with, and poor leading)

The club was never more crowded than it was tonight. It was nearly impossible to get any complex routines done. I didn’t feel like I was in top form, and my repertoire was severely limited because of lack of space. High points included a not-completely-discouraging dance (in pieces) with Serap (in other words, my best dance with Serap ever). Low point was when I found myself going way too fast during a truncated J. Lo song in a dance with a more experienced partner. In this same dance, I apparently was not always clear enough with my lead (slightly sloppy reverse cross body leads and apparently not enough snap for 1 1/2 turn during cross body lead – although I thought that once a turn is initiated, follower does a 1 1/2 turn unless stopped - so I am a bit confused now). However, she seemed friendly and acted as if she would be receptive to another dancd with me in future. However, I also feel that this won't last very long unless I take full advantage of these small number of opportunity to improve quickly.

No comments: