Kat steps in for Susana

August 15, 2006

3.3 with Mario assisted by Kat Wiklund


1,2,3,5,6,7 prepare and lead double hammerlock turn for follower
1,2,3,5,6,7 Copa start with both connections intact and pointed toward the direction of follower’s origin (so L-R goes over follower's head) – then leader steps into follower’s previous space and turn full counterclockwise (L-R is briefly disconnected at start of leader’s turn and reconnected and goes over leader’s head to end by leader’s L shoulder and R-L is kept low by leader’s waist level and ending behind leader around center of his back)
1,2,3,5,6,7 L-R is lowered (keeping follower’s arm straight throughout as much as possible) on 1 and goes over leader’s head as leader turns 1/2 clockwise on 2 and R-L is used to lead follower to turn 1/2 clockwise on either 2.5 or 3 (so that R-L ends about follower’s R shoulder with leader’s arm coming down and L-R by follower’s L waist) – then lead follower to step back on 5,6,7 with both hands leading this movement with leader moving into follower’s previous space with L-R going over leader’s head followed by drop catch to R-L/R by leader’s R waist – end with leader facing away from follower
1,2,3,5,6,7 open break (but leader could either step backwards or forwards on 1) with R-L/R coming up in front of follower’s face on 3 and to turn her 1/2 clockwise on 4 with free L hand stopping follower on her back then leading follower backwards into 1 1/2 counterclockwise turn with the lead coming from L hand (minimize lead with R hand – absence of lead could be ideal here) – look to switch hands early while R-L/R is still above follower’s head for next move
1,2,3,5,6,7 leader turns clockwise with double switch of hands to end back with R-L/R and lead follower into 2 1/2 traveling clockwise turn

Susana is apparently away in Russia for a family gathering of some sort. Kat Wiklund stood in for Susana, and I had a chance to chat with her a bit before the start of the class. I thought I had seen her a couple of times before – possibly once at the Rocket where I might have had a dance with her (I’m thinking less likely more I think about it) and definitely last weekend at SOS where I asked her for a dance (the song was Babarabatiri by Tito Puente – short 3:42 studio version). I had no idea she was a teacher – teaching partner with Alex Amoroso (Alex is Greek-Italian apparently but I have no idea what he looks like). Apparently Kat and Alex stood in for Mauro and Eva for level 3 (this is something I picked up in a Salsa chat forum) and will do so again next weekend. I’m beginning to wonder if most people who I thought were pretty good as dance partners have teaching experience (or soon will start teaching).

Justin told me that I seemed to have made nice progress with my lower body movement and being able to turn fast but thought that my upper body might be too stiff. I replied that have been making some modifications with some input from friends (mostly Sergio) but I have had almost no time to practice body isolations. I’m not sure if stiff upper body is desirable but it is also something of a deliberate exercise for the moment in response to the “posture” comments/suggestions from Ivan, Sally, Johnny and Serap.

I had a better look at the floor space at LDA; it’s definitely larger than Mary Ward Hall (for SOS). Apparently Mary Ward Hall is also used for Ceroc. Julian "The Duke" was the DJ at SOS last weekend.

There was a movement to get an e-mail list by Tracy. I almost wonder if this is going to end in starting a clique – I hope not. I wouldn’t want to join a clique that would have me.

Quote of the day – “Don’t you know you are supposed to be wearing white shoes?”

No comments: