On2 session #4 or a beginner once again

March 15, 2007

Tonight’s session was the shortest one by far – only about 2 1/3 hours. This was in part by design so that we could attend the social hour at Club Salsa later. We started around 6:50. We were going to focus on partner work, but it still meant that well over half hour was spent on doing basic steps, turns, axles, etc. A tiny bit of styling and body movement was done too – no more than 5 minutes – miniscule.

Partner work started with doing preparations for leading spins – in on 5, out on 6, in on 7, then up (with follower not depending on leader to lift her hand/arm). A key here is to keep tension in finger but keep wrist loose (a.k.a. dead wrist). We also worked on changing finger positions (without causing a turn signal for follower) and then altering arm positions while leader is doing a right turn (3 o’clock).

Spot turn was a review more or less, but doing this in time to music was new. Or at least it seemed to bring additional challenge. Another new element covered was Copa. A signal to bring follower in is given on 6. The version used as primary exercise today involved starting with R-R hold and getting R hand on follower’s hips (absorbing follower’s momentum) to lead her back on 1 (with a light touch with free L hand on her shoulder right after 2).

Although we stopped around 9:10, it took almost 20 minutes to get into my car to first find something to eat before heading off to Club Salsa. We ended up at Café Adriatic once again. We got done with the food with more efficiency than usual. Dinner topics included bull fighting (brought upon because of a suggestion by Sergio to go to a Frankie Martinez Abakua dancers performance as a part of a Salsa festival in Madrid over Easter - Simposium Internacional Salsa 2007), poo and pee (college class experiences).

We arrived at Club Salsa around 10:30. I did not get to dance with many people, but I had more fun than I had in quite some time. Every dance was either pretty good or informative.

I started with Mimi On2 to La Llave (Grupo Latin Vibe). I felt pretty lucky to start with a slower song although there were mistakes galore – I felt like to total beginner once again. I followed it up with a dance On1 with Mimi. A couple of dances On1 with Euvian and Laura followed thereafter. I danced with Jane to Mambo Mongo (Mongo Santamaria – Fania recording) – pretty cool. Then I let loose On1 with Charlotte. Finally, I danced On2 with Mimi two more times to medium paced songs (Pa Bravo Yo – Pupy Santiago (?) and Ojos Chinos – El Gran Combo). Three Salsa dances On2! The latter two felt better although the pace of the songs was faster than the first one. Anyhow that’s at least 3 times more than what I expected going in! I was expecting maybe one Salsa and one Cha Cha at most. It’s not so bad being a beginner all over again.

Other songs played tonight include Tu Tu Ta Ta II (Eddie Palmieri), Merecumbe (Los Titanes – came right after Mambo Mongo), Ritmo Pa Borinquen (Grupo Latin Vibe). Merecumbe (a different version??) was on again when we left at 11:45.

I did not get a chance to dance with Sam, Nicola or Lindsey among others. I don’t think I was disappointed about it as much as I normally would have. I don’t know why. I suppose I was simply in a pretty good mood – happy-go-lucky and not liable to be bothered by anything. Perhaps having 3 days away from Salsa dancing (not counting the practice session on Tuesday) after 8 days in a row helped too.

A couple of announcements for Vishal - Vishal definitely is organizing a coach for the Easter Bank Holiday Scala. So I won't need to give him directions again. I might add that I could be doing the Madrid trip and thus miss the whole shebang. Vishal is also dealing directly with Tony and Daniella to have them return to Club Salsa for Bachata and Reggaeton classes on June 19th. I will have absolutely no stakes in this so it may be worth noting especially for the people who were avoiding taking the classes because of my involvement (if it was a factor at any point).

No comments: