A surprise outing on a Tuesday

March 6, 2007

Zern’s birthday was almost a week away, but the surprise gathering came about this evening. Blame it on Euvian. Or perhaps blame it on his upcoming surgery two days from now. In the end, it was not a surprise. Euvian had to tell Zern to stop playing Warcraft and come to Club Salsa instead.

This being the re-launch of the Monthly Tuesday Cuban night, music played predominantly was – Cuban. Considering the people who were there, it was a bit of waste of large number of leads (of CBL persuasion). Among others, there were Rajiv, Cyrille, Sergio, Haihan, Ed and Zern. Of the girls, the only ones we knew well were Euvian, Zhenzhi and Mimi.

Other than Zern (especially during his birthday dance with Euvian, Zhenzhi and Mimi), no one among men in our little group danced more than once for the first hour or so. I think there might have been as many dancing done by Zern’s other friends from his water polo team. Nothing wrong with it – I suppose. No one was really up to dancing Cuban – except maybe Raj and Mimi. No effort was made to start Rueda either. I tried Cuban (using Rueda moves) with Mimi – badly.

As a parting gift of sort, Sue the instructor/DJ put on Merecumbe by Johnny Colon followed by another CBL friendly song and then Obsesion. So I danced with Zhenzhi, then with Euvian. I think Sue and the Cuban crowd left shortly thereafter. More CBL friendly songs came on. I did an On2 dance with Mimi – I considered stopping and switching to On1 after couple of minutes, but Mimi suggested that we stay On2 so I did (I might add that some instructions were given out by Sergio towards the end).

Sergio got Mimi (and I followed along) to do more On2 footwork as La Cura by Frankie Ruiz came on. I decided to switch to my mixed CD to continue the exercise. Songs used were Asia Mood, Hong Kong Mambo, Japan Mambo all by Tito Puente, Lluvia Con Nieve by Mon Rivera and Lo Tuyo Llegra by the Lebron Brothers. All in all, a little over 20 minutes of On2 footwork was done.

This is going to be an interesting week. Salsa Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday (On2 workout having been moved this week to Wednesday), Thursday, Friday, probably not Saturday, but again on Sunday (according to Mark, I got the third from the last ticket available this afternoon).

No comments: