St. Edmunds and Siegfried

March 10, 2007

Finally a relaxing day a work. For a change no rush to get things done. Before heading off to St. Edmunds College, I turned on the television. Possibly for the first time in over a week. BBC two was broadcasting Richard Wagner’s Siegfried from the Covent Gardens. Near the end of Act 1. I watched it for a while and considered staying home.

11:45 PM. I arrived at St. Edmunds College Common Room. I signed in as a guest – just in case I turn out to be or become a celebrity. When I entered the main dance area, I spotted immediately Rajiv, Stephanie and Haihan. Haihan said, “I didn’t think you’d come to this place.” I can be masochistic sometimes.

11:50 PM. I spotted Tamaryn at the other end of the room. Vishal was playing La Pantera Mambo. I walked over to her. She had her head out the window – presumably to cool down. She said she had only gone out to dance Salsa only twice this year - very busy with school presumably. We had a short dance. I won’t see her tomorrow.

11:55 PM. Next song was Merengue. I said a brief hello to Olivia, who took Tamaryn with her out the main room. As I made my way back to Haihan’s group, A Ballroom dancer I remember from my first year of Salsa dancing spotted me. I danced Merengue with her briefly. Next song was R & B.

12:00 AM. I was standing by Stephanie when Vishal started Mambo No. 5 (not the original of course but the one by Lou Bega). Stephanie muttered, “I was going to request a Mambo.”

12:20 AM. Stephanie left. See you tomorrow. Zhenzhi arrived. Among other songs played was Hips Don’t Lie.

12:25 AM. Two Bachata – Obsesion and the new R & B Bachata – were played.

12:30 AM. Third “Salsa” of the evening (while I was here anyway) was played. Playa No More.

12:35 AM. Haihan left. See you tomorrow. I’m getting hot and sweaty just sitting still.

12:40 AM. Otra. Otra. Otra something, something else, whatever.

12:45 AM. Okay, I can say that I was here for an hour – maybe a little over an hour. Let’s say one Salsa dance and one Merengue dance. I had very little expectations anyway. Shila says tomorrow is going to be the big night and that it’ll be good. I imagine it will be – whether I have a good time or not.

Back to Siegfried - Part 3 of the Ring Cycle, which left as a profound and indelible mark (perhaps a curse) on me as any work of art and literature. No doubt not in a way Wagner intended.

No comments: