If it weren't for this or that

April 15, 2007

I feel ineffective. I have issues with schedules - and time in general. No longer is there a non-stop train between Cambridge and London on Sundays. Journey for SOS is now less convenient for both inbound and outbound journey.

My old self would have had no problem making the 6:28 train to Kings Cross. My new and hopefully temporary self could not make the 6:58 train. Because I did not feel like waiting for the 7:28 (and also because I did not have any books to ready on the train having accidentally left them at work), I drove to Tavistock Place instead. Perhaps I would prefer to drive more now given the changes in the train schedule, but doing so when going alone does not seem very kosher.

I had to make a detour to a bank machine because I did not have enough money for entry. I should have done it at the Cambridge train station.

I did not have any timepiece with me. All the clocks in Mary Ward Hall showed wrong time. I had no idea when I danced my last dance that it was the last dance of the evening. I probably missed some regular partners because of my ignorance.

There was fairly large number of Cambridge regulars - Mark, Sally, Nicola, Johnny, Serap, Laura. Maybe that's not very many. I thought I glimpsed Ed briefly too. Others present included Vera, Imi, Simon, Roger, Pablo, Sean, Marianne. No Tracy - that's rare.

It was exceedingly warm. I don't think they had the full complement of fans. It was difficult. Standing still was a chore. Dancing Cha Cha (the only time On2) was surprisingly exhausting. Essentially every dance was graded lower than it normally would have been because the conditions were so inhospitable. Even when the dance worked very well, it was too exhausting to be or act happy about it because I felt like going off to a cooler spot and breathe. I think most people there felt the same way. To think that I almost brought my overcoat with me...

The speaker system sounded very weak today. The volume was turned way down. It made for another challenge.

Music was a bit on a bland side earlier and surprisingly familiar later. Caballo Viejo was an entry as were a couple of Vishal classics. Mark Dimond's Los Rumberos was played - three times in less than 10 days! Japan Mambo might have been played - if not something that sounded a bit like it gave me the easiest and most pleasant dance. My partner liked the way I led. It might have been a good opportunity to socialize, but my mind was too preoccupied with the temperature and with breathing.

Other than the oppressive heat and humidity inside, wimpy sound, confusion about time and lost opportunity for socializing (other than to complain about the exhausting conditions), it was a great night out.

No comments: