Not much on the horizon

April 26, 2007

I thought Sally would be away (Barcelona), but she was here.

Intermediate/Advanced with Sally & Mark

1,2,3,5,6,7 R-R hold - open break start - bring follower forward to leader's L side (R-R would have to go over his head and by 4, follower is positioned behind leader because leader has turned slightly clockwise) - make L-L connection (somewhat like reverse crucifix except leader's L arm is essentially straight) and lead follower to a 1 1/2 counterclockwise traveling turn with L-L (keep L arm more or less straight and keep it going over follower's head) with leader turning counterclockwise to end facing away from follower with L-L over leader's L shoulder
1,2,3,5,6,7 offer R by leader's R waist early and make R-R connection - leader turns 1/2 clockwise during 1,2,3 - it's probably better to lead follower to turn full clockwise right after 3 (although I am unsure if this indeed was the instruction) while reconnecting L-L as this turn is led - lead follower forward to leader's R on 5 and 1/2 clockwise turn on 7 with leader turning 1/2 counterclockwise at the end to face the follower
1,2,3,5,6,7 crossed hold R-R on top - prepare and lead follower to touch-and-go stationary multiple turn
1,2,3,5,6,7 crossed hold L-L on top - leader turns 1/2 counterclockwise with L-L on leader's R shoulder - lead follower to 1 1/2 counterclockwise traveling turn like CBL with R-R leading (keep it about above leader's head)
1,2,3,5,6,7 re-establish crossed hold R-R on top - something like a Copa start with R-R moved to be positioned to R of follower's head and with L-L positioned to L of follower's head - lead follower to a Copa-type turn except this is now a double turn ending in half crucifix (R-R intact)
1,2,3,5,6,7 prepare on 1,2 and lead follower to turn 1/2 clockwise on 3 - lead follower to 1 1/2 traveling 1 1/2 counterclockwise over and under turn to leader's R side to get R-R behind follower's L waist

Some people like Zern, Euvian and Raj went next door for drinks, but I ended up staying behind. Ed asked me about the "lady" who left a scathing comment (or a.k.a. suggestion #1 back in February) and whether I had any more communications with the person (I don't know whether it was a man or a woman). No. I did get to talk to Ed about Liam still owing me money for petrol. I was also asked a question about the song (with counts) that Sally was using as a practice song by another guy - it was a "classic" - Lovely Day.

Start of Easter term (or just coincidence) brought forward more people than usual. However, surprisingly many people were missing also. Stephanie is back. Cyrille was a surprise no show. Natalie showed up. Ivan was AWOL. Lindsey was back after a fairly long absence - as was Chris. Mimi on the other hand is away. Marie was back after an even longer absence - at one point she was sitting right next to me without becoming aware of it. No Nina. Brendan was there but not accompanied by Diana or Jay. Phyllis and Agnes were there for second week in a row, but no signs of Zhenzhi, Sam or Isabelle. Sean, Richard and Haihan yes, Thomas and Zoon no.

Sally had the music on autopilot for earlier part of the evening. The autopilot CD included Ayer (Gloria Estefan), Soledad (La 33), Malaguena Salerosa (Eddie Palmieri), Noche De Salsa (Louie Ramirez & Ray De La Paz). Later songs included Merecumbe (Los Titanes - probably had one of top 3 dances of the evening), La Llave (Grupo Latin Vibe - another good dance tonight in terms of interestingness), El Quinto De Beethoven (Cesta All-Stars - I had this song longer than Sally, but I don’t think I ever played it. Too long and too fast. I don't think there are many people who would enjoy dancing to this song with me even if I try to make it easy for them. Perhaps trying to make it easy doesn't help. Maybe I should have wiggle myself out of dancing to this song.), Mundy Baja (El Gran Combo - an easier song to deal with. I would have been okay dancing to this one even though I was tired after El Quinto, but no takers), Picadillo (Cal Tjader & Eddie Palmieri - My suspicion is that most people here won't like dancing to this one with me), La Salsa Nunca Se Acabo (Susie Hansen), Ritmo Pa Borinquen (Grupo Latin Vibe), La Agonia (Lebron Brothers - My partner lost her timing and couldn't get it back for a while. It makes me think twice about playing it on a Friday), Pa Bravo Yo (Pupy Santiago? not sure).

Chris and I talked about London Salsa scene a bit - in particular Bar Salsa and also about dancing with rhyme and reason. I saw him doing a shine later. It seemed alright but I am not sure if he liked the reaction from his partner, and he seemed to revert to massive spin mode. I think many although not necessarily all girls who can spin well prefers to be spun a lot whether it's called for or not.

I'm bored and unenthusiastic - not about today in particular but in general.

No comments: