24 - 20

November 5, 2007

On many levels it was a night to miss. I was not in top shape. I would miss the game of the century (Patriots versus Colts – Patriots won) even if I will have caught it only by internet. The overall quality of the people there was probably below average. It really was about doing a favor.

One thing it did was for me to experiment further with the route. On paper and on Google map, the new route should have been a better one than the one I was used to. In practice, because of bad traffic, it was probably a little worse. And to top it off, I missed a turn (I should have taken my first instinct in this case) so I lost another 10 minutes or so.

After parking etc, I was at SOS by around 7:30. I really could not be bothered with the class so I just watched. I liked a small part in the level 4 class. It might be worth practicing at some time. It went like this.

Start from position of wrap R-L over follower’s shoulder and L-R across follower’s stomach and leader in CBL position – one way to enter this position would be to lead a cross body lead with 1 1/2 counterclockwise turn for follower with all connections intact
1,2,3,5,6,7 leader’s footwork could be L behind R, R in place and L forward and across follower’s line (her initial line that is) while turning follower 1/2 clockwise on 3 – the position at 4/5 is like CBL position again except in opposite direction – lead follower to travelling (clockwise?) turn – leader can turn counterclockwise at the same time, which would lead to open position

The DJ tonight was Julian the Duke. The only song I knew by heart was Avisale A Mi Contrario (Tito Rodriguez). There was also another version of Fragile (Fragilidad maybe?). The selections were not horrible but not great either.

I think I had about two, three maybe four partners I really enjoyed dancing with. Most others were pretty good too. There were two people who seemed to have no idea about where the music was – an unusually high number. I was asked for a dance four or five times, which is pretty high too. My guess was that all this happened because the general standard of people tonight was subpar. Usually I would notice one or two new people who I think would be good to dance with – not tonight. In any case, I wasn’t thrilled enough with tonight so leaving early at 10:30 was no disappointment.

I still have fond memories of SOS. Two years ago, it was my refuge. It’s still a great place – better than any Cambridge nights despite all the improvements in Cambridge. However, Cambridge has gotten good enough that the difference is no longer stark. Meanwhile long commute makes SOS less enticing especially as an every week destination. If I were to go every week, I probably could use it to improve fairly quickly. If I go every month, it’s more like a candy rather than a hearty meal.

I also tried to find a new route on the way back too. After three wrong turns, I decided not to insist on going by the way I planned – reviewing what I did at home indicated to me that I came very close to the way I wanted to go (I was actually at the right spot without realizing it). No big deal – I only lost about 5 minutes. I think I could do it right next time around. I think the return route might be more of a sure improvement unlike the route I tried to take on the way into London.

No comments: