Is Michaelmas nearly over?

November 22, 2007

I felt sorry for Liam and Cyrille – a little more for Liam because he was here last two Thursdays in a row, both of which were of a less than prime-time variety. Steph, Agnes, Lindsey, Nicola, Jane, Charlotte, Polly, Kate and more. I think I also had at least four other unnamed dance partners, and they were all pretty good too. Perhaps the luckiest beneficiary was Sebastian, who had the strongest line-up of partners I can recall in Cambridge for a farewell or birthday dance – Steph, Kate, Agnes, Jane, Polly, Sally, Nicola (?) and at least one more high-calibre follower.

And the music was quite outrageous. Sally was playing some new stuff – No Critiques (Eddie Palmieri) was one of very few I recognized before Haihan took over and played even more nutty stuff – no less adventurous than things one would hear at SOS. I didn’t recognize many of the songs – rather unusual experience for me at Club Salsa – and many of the songs were of rather fast and intense variety. One unusual song I did recognize was Mi Montuno (Eddie Palmieri & Cal Tjader). Things became more familiar very late – after midnight – with likes of Push Push Push (Joe Cuba), Clave Mambo (Joe Cuba), La-La-La (Direct Latin Influence).

I was pretty much ready to go home around midnight except the music continued on for another half hour. I think it happened mostly because it was the last Thursday this year for some like Haihan. I even changed my shoes and was forced to dance with my heavy rubber soled shoes when Steph decided to get me on the floor for La-La-La. Fortunately, the floor was extra slippery and the song a slow-paced one so it worked out okay. It reminds me that the floor was very sticky at the start of the night so that I started out and ended the evening dancing while stepping on every beat and walking my turns rather than spinning.

By the time I did manage to leave, Vish had returned from his other gig. He said he wanted to have fun tomorrow night and asked me to bring my music in case I’m needed as a backup DJ.

Quote of the day – “You make me fertile.” OMG. LMAO.

No comments: