Once a week for most people?

November 8, 2007

I was a bit early and ran into Mauricio, who's supposedly been hiding in the countryside. The classes were quite full - the arrangement was a little weird considering crowding. I considered asking some unfamiliar people in the classes for a dance but found myself crossing off almost everyone because of poor basic footwork. One person I did end up dancing with turned out to be someone I danced with at Chilford. Pretty natural follow with nice posture and great attitude - need to work on developing impeccable timing - could become devastatingly good and cause onlooker's legs to wobble. It could be interesting to see Chilford leaves lasting effects on the scene.

Unlike the classes, the social was devoid of many of the usual suspects. Sergio's across the pond. No Ivan, Cyrille, Raj, Haihan, Zern, Steph, Agnes, Euvian, Zhenzhi, Nicola. Maybe they are saving themselves. Mark showed up only for the last few minutes. Another good follow (associated with Shiraz? - not here tonight) also only showed up late and did not dance much. I ended up dancing mostly with Channel, who'll be away until Februrary, and thrusting her at likes of Sebastian and Liam when I wasn't. It wasn't anything near exclusive - I also danced with Polly, Charlotte, Kate, Lindsey, Annette. Possibly because of it being somewhat sparse, Sally stuck mostly with very popular easy songs (or possibly songs she thought people like Liam and I would like).

At one point I thought I was going to leave shortly after 11. Somehow it ended up being at closing near midnight. Maybe the blame could go partly to Liam, who decided to have a couple more dances after I thought he was done. He also received at least one version of the latest gossip and intrigue in Cambridge while delivering a vintage put-down of the London scene. It was also interesting to be reminded of the fact that we started this essentially at same time - no more than a few weeks apart and moving via mostly different paths (for one thing I think I still have seen him in London more often than in Cambridge).

No comments: