Things seem just fine here

April 25, 2008

Apparently Joe left early so it was Danie and Vish finishing the class when I arrived. When Vish spotted me, he asked me to get ready a slow song as the final practice track. I chose Yolanda, which I earlier found had bpm of 155?. Then there was the usual cool-down track, Playa No More, and then straight into the first song for the party.

Playlist

La Muy Muy – Roberto Torres (1)
Del Agua Brava – Kako Y Totico
Momposina – Santiago Ceron
La Esencia Del Guaguanco – Johnny Pacheco
Mambologia – Maximo Rodriguez Y Sus Estrellas Panamenas*
Isla Del Encanto – Orquesta Broadway
Y No Hago Mas Na – El Gran Combo
Ay Amor, Cuando Hablan Las Miradas – Orquesta Guayacan*
Fuego En El 23 – Sonora Poncena (2)
Lo Bonito Y Lo Feo – Grupo Niche
Cuando Te Vea – German Villarreal (3)
Periodico De Ayer – Hector Lavoe (4)
Que Bonito Es Sonar – Jimmy Bosch
Avisale A Mi Contrario – Roberto Roena
Japan Mambo – Tito Puente
Rubias De Nueva York – Willie Rosario
Soledad – La 33
Merecumbe – Johnny Colon (5)
No Aguanto Mas – Celia Cruz & Johnny Pacheco
Ven Tu – Domenic Marte
Periquito Pin Pin – Tommy Olivencia
La Cartera – Orchestra Harlow
Torero – Orquesta Guayacan* (6)
Swing La Moderna – Ray Barretto
Guaguanco Margarito – Tito Puente (Live At Birdland)* (7)
Ublabadu – Fania All-Stars (canta: Hector Lavoe)
Playa Fa Sho – Toby Love
Tema Del Apollo – Eddie Palmieri
Mambo Is Here To Stay – Latin Giants Of Jazz
Sopa En Botella – Celia Cruz & Johnny Pacheco
Lo Dudo – Tommy Olivencia (canta: Frankie Ruiz)
Fuego A La Jicotea – Marvin Santiago
Descarga Cachao – Tito Rodriguez* (-10%) (8)
Te Extrano – Toque D’ Queda
I Wanna Love You – Pablo Bachata*
Se Me Fue – El Gran Combo (9)
Nadie Como Ella – Marc Anthony
Yolanda – Orquesta Guayacan*
Contigo – Cache
Otra Oportunidad – Jimmy Bosch (10)

(1) Fairly standard, I guess. I have only so many slow tracks, so I’m bound to use same songs once every 3-5 times. I wasn’t expecting to start, so it was a little bit of a scramble at the start to pick the songs.
(2) Better initial reception than I expected. Maybe it was the placement.
(3) Jane and Mark were unexpected shows. Apparently they opted not to risk MamboCity Congress because of uncertainty about being able to buy tickets.
(4) This was played mainly for Vish, who asked about the song last night after hearing Sally play it. I’ve played this one 6 times over past 2 years.
(5) Vish pushed for more Salsa of similar pace. I actually played this one over previously selected songs because of a couple of request for Merengue. I thought I would be better off playing an energetic Salsa to give a workout for the Salsa people before the Merengue break.
(6) Mohammed recognized the song from the very beginning. MJ seemed to be confused by some parts.
(7) The ending (Timbales solo) was hilarious. I think Gordon was more amused than annoyed - at least this time.
(8) I had my one dance of the evening – with Jane. It was pretty good until I switched from On1 to On2… then switch again to On1 near the end. That was a little embarrassing. No difference in feeling though this time. Trying to differentiate On1 to On2 to On5 could be tricky. Also, this week’s idea took another hit – like it needed one.
(9) Fairly empty by now. The social started out fairly strong, but it didn’t have much legs.
(10) Usually with a crowd this small, Vish would suggest ending the party. He seemed content to keep it going so I left him with one of his CDs playing after this one.

Total = 40 songs. 2 Bachata including 1 new for me. 1 Merengue. 1 Cha Cha. 36 Salsa including 6 new.

Big class. Pretty big crowd until a little after midnight. Very few late-night owls though.

I almost forgot to mention Sean (and Emily?) showed up - visiting from Reading.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well out of the two Bachatas you played that night , i am very proud you played mine.

Mad Love,
PABLO BACHATA-