Large number of On2 dances at Scala

May 4, 2008

I was next to last to arrive – about 5 minutes late. Vish’s mini bus was full – about 5 people tried to book last minute without avail. I was to act as Vish’s guide, but I thought he did just fine finding my route on the way in. Despite a slightly later departure time and a queue outside Scala, we arrived on time for lessons for the first time – maybe missing about first 5 minutes or so of the Salsa class.

In my case, I opted to check out the Lambada class instead. I had planned to watch the proceedings only but was dragged into the class by the instructors under the plea that they needed more leads. It was interesting and not exactly easy especially taking into consideration the kind of body movements the instructors were incorporating into basic steps and into spins. Having now years of experiences in leading was helpful, but an essentially mirror-image basic ET steps but with Palladium timing for basic forward-and-back step was a bit confusing. I did not stay after the lessons.

Aside from the mini bus contingent, there had to be more than 5 from Cambridge. Jane met us at Scala after arriving via train – a direct train will always beat a car to Kings Cross. Shila plus one also joined us on the queue. Although I did not get around to say hello, Sebastian and Kate were there. Steve as expected was there too. There was at least one more guy, who I think has been quite diligent and gentlemanly in learning Salsa and totally undeserving of the label “2” (as in sequel to another) in my opinion (hint: Rob...).

For the most part, On1 was a bit disappointing tonight. A follow, who was at one second nearly half meter away, managed to elbow my chin with her full weight behind her. I think that was the third dance of the evening, and it made me wary about asking strangers for the rest of the evening. For me at least On1 was more fun on Friday at CS. On2 was a different story though. Not counting Cha Cha, I must have managed more than 6 On2 dances. It started somewhat weakly because I wasn’t mentally prepared, but it improved quite a bit by the time I danced with Johanna and especially Helen (finally!). The one with Helen in particular was my best first-time On2 dance with a new partner by a long shot no doubt helped by familiarity with the music and a great compatible partner.

An interesting change from recent experiences and/or opinions was that I found dancing with instructor-type or performer-types more enjoyable or more comfortable – at least for tonight. Aside from Johanna and Helen who had the third showcase slot tonight, I snuck in a dance with Andrea Stewart once again – for the most comfortable On1 dance of the evening. Ditto for Colleen at the very end just before departure – I think she showed up very late. Maybe I could have asked Miriam finally if she weren’t occupied pretty much all the time I spotted her.

The music tonight was amusing once again for high percentage of songs I recognized and more. Quite a few songs I played on Friday and included on tonight’s iPod playlist for the drive were played at Scala. This despite the fact that I was choosing quite a lot of very slow songs Friday night and that I was choosing many songs to suit Vish (or the driver’s) taste.

Songs played included Hay Craneo (TR), Que Bueno Baila Usted (OD), Satin and Lace (TR probably), Swing A La Moderna (MySS), La-La-La (Curbelo and DLI versions), El Matrimonio, Malaguena Salerosa, Siguelo (version?), Merecumbe (JC), Tu Amor Me Hace Bien, Fuego En El 23, Hacha Y Machete (ADLF), La Palomilla, El Apartamento, Nina Y Senora, Cao Cao Mani Picao (version unknown), Agua Del Clavelito (version unknown but Vish has it), and more. There was a song that was played twice but I can’t remember what it was.

Now that there is no longer an obvious place to practice On2 in Cambridge, maybe I should start using London for this purpose. It's not like London nowadays offer much more in terms of On1 practice compared to Cambridge. I don't mean to dance On2 exclusively by any means, however. We'll see if this is more than a passing thought.

No comments: