Unexpected great night before the big night

May 22, 2008

I was expecting a short night. I was wrong. I am glad.

I bet quite a few people were expecting the same. No Ivan. No Sergio. No Liam. Quite a few people are still affected by exams, etc. There were three guys who could lead On2 - me, Mark and this big London guy who had been here on Thursdays several times long time ago - maybe a year ago? I don't think Ed was there, but I can't remember for sure. Otherwise, all the other leads were mostly nameless to me aside from Demetrios, Steve, Ian and a couple of others I'll refrain from naming (in some case because I can't even remember for sure that they were there or not). On the follower's side, it was another story. Lindsey, Nicola, Jane, Charlotte, Polly, Annette, Caroline, Clara, and several others made up one of the best lineup of 2008.

Sally's music choice was one of the better ones in recent memory. Listing of songs I know really does not do justice, but here are the ones I know - La Cura & Puerto Rico by Frankie Ruiz, La Sombra by Angel Canales, Aguzate by Riche Ray & Bobby Cruz, Delta Mambo by Cache, Quince Anos by El Gran Combo, La Llave by Grupo Latin Vibe, Don Astacio by Javier Vazquez, Juana Pena by Willie Colon. That's not a bad list, but I think it was the songs I did not know as well and the sequence of the songs that made it nice. Maybe having fewer really fast songs helped too.

In any case, the social lasted until nearly midnight - well past expected. I think I had five On2 dances and all but the last one was done non-consecutively. As far as not getting confused by all the switching back and forth between On1 and On2, there has never been a better night for me thus far. There were some really nice dances too. It was all so very much that I became worried about peaking too early this weekend. As a matter of fact, I fully expect Friday to be slightly worse for me dance-wise (after all, I'll be DJing part of the time) and Sunday to be at best marginally better. Any higher expectation is liable to disappoint, and I might become disappointed anyway.

No comments: