Somewhat busy

May 16, 2008

Pretty good turnout by recent standards - biggest beginner class or something like that according to Vish. There were some new people who could dance Salsa a little too. Andrea was there once again; I had a couple of interesting dances with her. Ditto for Sharon. Lorraine was there. She now has a permanent position in Cambridge. Zeynap was a surprise show – probably for the last time ever as she had her final viva today. She was looking for On2 dancers, but there weren’t any tonight (I didn’t dance On2 tonight).

One of Joe’s last song before I took over was a remix of Es La Musica. Amusing.

Playlist

Cuando Te Vea – German Villarreal
Me Voy Pa Cali – Oscar D’Leon
En La Casa De Mi Compay – Javier Vazquez (Sonora Matancera)*
El Entierro Del Feo – Ray Barretto
Tu Nuevo Amor – Ismael Miranda & Junior Gonzalez*
Tito’s Colada – Tito Puente*
Visa Para Un Sueno – Juan Luis Guerra*
Senora – Domenic Marte
La Muerte – El Gran Combo
Salsa Y Control – Lebron Brothers
Pa Los Salseros – Cachaco*
Yo Soy La Rumba – Machito featuring Graciela & Marcelino Guerra* (-3%)

break (1)

Quitate La Mascara – Ray Barretto
El Apartamento – Willie Rosario
Solo Se Que Tiene Nombre De Mujer – Angel Canales* (2)
Dejate Querer – Jose Alberto “El Canario”
Hong Kong – Michi Sarmiento and Sus Bravos
El Pito – Isidro Infante (3)
Primoroso Cantar – Johnny Pacheco & Pete “El Conde” Rodriguez*
Sandra – Angel Canales*
Paris Mambo – Tito Puente & Eddie Palmieri (-10%)
Los Ejes De Mi Carreta – Ray Barretto*

(1) Perhaps Vish likes to take over when there are a lot of people dancing. I'm not sure if playing Merengue early was a factor. Tonight he went El Gran Combo heavy and played for quite long time. I wasn’t necessarily expecting to go back when I did fairly late into the night as things were winding down. I was a little short on time so I first played a Bachata CD Vish had first.
(2) I danced to this one expecting the floor to clear. Nope. It led to a renaissance or a final gasp of crowd to the dance floor.
(3) Slowly thing are petering out. It seems to be that my attempts at pandering doesn't work very well.

Total = 22 songs. 1 “new” Merengue. 1 Bachata. 20 Salsa including 10 new. That was a lot less Merengue and Bachata than I had expected to play until Vish took over earlier than expected. It’s a lot more new songs than I had expected to play. I danced to two of my songs – Yo Soy La Rumba with Andrea and Solo Se Que Tiene Nombre De Mujer with Sharon.

More beer than usual too. One Bachata. Hmm. I don't really dance much Bachata these days. Maybe I should thank Daniella for that. I suppose Tony & Daniella's next visit will lead to another spurt.

No comments: