Thank God It's Over

June 28, 2008

This was so draining. Good thing Vish will be back, and I won't have to do this again. I had the most difficult Salsa and Merengue ever. Combine it with a back-breaking Bachata the other night…

It was a definitely an interesting learning experience. I think the Salsa was difficult possibly because my partner was used to a particular style very different than what I am used to. It might be that heretofore unexperienced Colombian/Cali style with an entirely different basic step or such.

There was a mix-up with meeting Bulbul early. I thought for a while that I might be going without Vish's CD and thus prepared the start of the evening with that assumption. Thankfully the lessons went way over time and I managed to find Bulbul next door.

Playlist

Huracan – Bobby Valentin
La Muy Muy – Roberto Torres
La Llave – Grupo Latin Vibe
Guallando – Fulanito
Volver Volver – Grupo Gale
Un Alto En El Camino – Grupo Niche
Mandali – Africando
Woman De Callao – Juan Luis Guerra
Tumbando Cabeza – Tabaco Y Ron (1)
(v) Merengue Mix 3
Pobre Mendigo – Toque D Keda (2)
Oiga Mire Vea – Orquesta Guayacan (3)
(v) Remember (Merengue or Merengue-like)
Ven Tu – Domenic Marte
Tu Amor Hace Bien – Marc Anthony (4)
(v) Merengue Mix 2 (5)
(v) Whenever Whenever – Shakira (6)
I Love Salsa – N’Klabe (-5%) (7)
El Costo De La Vida – Juan Luis Guerra*
Te Extrano – Extreme
Playa No More – Crystal Sierra
(v) La Quiero A Morir – DLG
(v) Procura (Cumbia)
(v) Bailando (Reggaeton)
Cachondea – Fruko Y Sus Tesos (-5%) (8)
Playa Fo Sho – Toby Love (9)
Valio La Pena – Marc Anthony (farewell dance for Katrina)
(v) Suavemente – Elvis Crespo (10)
(v) Cali Pachanguero – Grupo Niche
(v) Simarik
Rompe – Daddy Yankee
Me Libere – El Gran Combo
(v) La Tortura – Shakira
(v) Asi Asi
(v) El Impacto (Reggaeton)
(v) La Vida Es Un Carnaval – Celia Cruz
(v) Chayenne
(v) Un Dos Tres – Ricky Martin
(v) Popular Cumbia (11)
(v) Mambo No 5 – Lou Bega
Lloraras – Oscar D’Leon
(v) La Bamba – Ritchie Valens
(v) Tequila
Lamento Boliviano – Toque D Keda
Loco De Amor – Evolution A R
La Fiesta De Pilito – El Gran Combo (12)
Guallando – Fulanito (13)
El Cuarto De Tula – Buena Vista Social Club
(v) Dile (Reggaeton) (14)
Perdoname – Gilberto Santa Rosa

(1) I thought Colombian, Salsa, new-ish. I don’t know if the reaction was poor from everyone, but I did hear from someone who wanted tried and true Merengue, Reggaeton, Bachata, etc. I opted to pick the long Merengue Mix 3, which had a weak reception last week, and see if it fares any better. The answer for tonight was yes but not by much.
(2) First of multiple Bachata request of the evening.
(3) The thought this time was Classic Colombian Salsa. This worked fine tonight. I don’t think it’s an everyday song. Then again I don’t think any song is for every day. Well – it’s not an everyday song by my looser definition too for whatever its’ worth.
(4) Two whiffs in a row.
(5) Am I torturing them or am I torturing myself? Aiming for pyrrhic victory? Feeling punchy?
(6) Not that it matters to me, but I wonder if the Spanish version would be any better. Actually I don’t think it’ll make much difference.
(7) Seems alright for tonight. I wonder if slowing was welcomed by all.
(8) This one was inspired by a conversation earlier with a Colombian.
(9) Bachata has been something of a floor cleaner. In this case I decided that it would help with clearing the floor for Katrina’s farewell dance.
(10) That was exciting. Not. Really, it was pathetic. I ended up dancing to this one to drum up interest.
(11) I was going to play this. Then I wasn’t – because I thought the people who would want it were all gone. Then I did because those people reappeared to make the request. Actually I was rather happy to comply. By the way I was expecting one dance and gone type of response. I ended up getting three more dances and another excited but must go type of response. Easy to please – I have no problem with that.
(12) Totally unexpected. I was quite surprised but happy to fulfil this song-specific request. The exchange went something like, “Marc Anthony?” “Ahora Quien?” “Umm maybe not. How about El Gran Combo?” “Which one?” “What do you have?” “I have A LOT.” “You’ve got La Fiesta De Pilito?” “Yeah, isn’t it a bit fast? Are you sure? Great!”
(13) I was going to play a slow Merengue. The suggestion was crazy fast Merengue. Okay. I don’t care that much. I’m very sure that no one was here earlier to hear all of Guallando.
(14) Song-specific request. Another unexpected – Reggaeton so late? I guess this is one of those “must be heard every time they’re out” type of song. The song may have a different title. Also I faded out I Wanna Love You early to play this and the next closing song.

Total = 50 songs. 21 songs from Vishal’s collection – 5 Merengue, 2 Salsa, 3 Reggaeton, 2 Cumbia, 9 miscellaneous. 29 songs from my collection – 18 Salsa including 1 new, 4 Merengue including 1 repeat and 1 new, 6 Bachata, 1 Reggaeton.

I also had an interesting discussion about music/DJing etc with David from Peru. Also there was a long goodbye with Katrina. I was nearly catatonic when I finally left the premises.

No comments: