On the eve of Brit Salsafest

February 2, 2006

crossed hold L-L on top
1,2,3,5,6,7 open break on 1, leader gets around and behind follower on 2,3 (neutral lead to prevent follower from turning in any direction – I’m guessing slight forward on 2 is okay – both connections stay in front of follower), follower is led to right on 5 as leader starts moving to her left and follower is led backwards on 6 as leader gets into essentially cross body lead position by 7/8 (R-R needs to go over follower’s head)
[note: Sometimes I was doing a clockwise turn on 7/8 by mistake – this could be interesting also]
1,2,3,5,6,7 pivot turn for leader on 1,2,3 and basic back on 5,6,7
1,2,3,5,6,7 lead follower to turn clockwise full stationary on 1,2,3 – continue turning follower on 5 (decelerating??) in clockwise direction and stop her turn with L-L and lead follower into full counterclockwise turn on 6,7 (broken left turn?) (R-R could be let go on 4/5 for follower’s styling)
1,2,3,5,6,7 [at this point, we’re back to crossed hold with L-L on top] cross body lead finish with leading follower into a traveling 1 1/2 counterclockwise turn [SOS technique would involve L-L going down on 5, coming back up on 6 with R-R following]
1,2,3,5,6,7 prepare and lead follower in to a touch-and-go double turn (clockwise) ending with L-L on top and leader turns half counterclockwise on 7/8 after follower is done with her turning to get into reverse Titanic
1,2,3,5,6,7 optional basic (more like an open break followed by in place while adjusting connections]
1,2,3,5,6,7 open break and bring follower to leader’s R side with R-R going over follower’s head and then disconnected with leader’s R hand landing on follower’s R shoulder – lead follower forward on 5 and into a 1 1/2 counterclockwise turn while leader turns counterclockwise to get back into face partner again

Beginner class was humongous. I walked into it somewhat unaware of the fact that it was a beginner class, but I decided that I might as well stick it out once I was in it. Many more than usual beginners stayed behind for club hours too.

Main emphasis for dancing tonight was to try to give more room for follower to express herself. I’m not sure if it did much today but I imagine it will take time. I apparently nailed cross body lead with a turn in my first attempt in my dance with Sally; I don’t know if I kept it up afterwards. In my opinion, probably two other of my top three things to work on is cross body lead with turns (still not completely fixed) and posture.

Johnny showed up during the club hours. It looks like we (including Serap) will be traveling to Blackpool together. I hear Birmingham/Manchester region is hellish to drive through on a Friday afternoon.

My spare ticket will be going to a complete stranger based in London. I am told I might get a couple of drinks out of it – I wouldn’t care if I get nothing. Easy come easy go. I think perhaps it was for the best for me even though there may have been many people in Cambridge who might have appreciated a free ticket (some I hadn’t realized before tonight).

Bachata workshop planning will continue while I’m in Blackpool. Ivan gave me a nice gesture by making an announcement about it after the class.

I’m really digging shines right now.

No comments: