Part 3 of the twenty-week plan

February 27, 2006

Intermediate – Joe Davids
1,2,3,5,6,7 basic closed
1,2,3,5,6,7 cross body lead with 1 1/2 traveling counterclockwise turn for follower ending closed (hair comb) (rocking motion)
1,2,3,5,6,7 cross body lead and full traveling counterclockwise turn for follower ending in R-L check (rocking motion to help minimize traveling)
1,2,3,5,6,7 prepare (forward for follower and back) and lead follower into stationary double turn with R-L with R-L coming down as follower is nearly finished with first turn (I think the speed of R-L coming down can be made too fast – I have been aware of this for a little while now but I’m still not leading this consistently well) so that R-L ends behind follower’s L waist – on 7, leader can do a swivel turn (full clockwise) – change connection to L-L
1,2,3,5,6,7 R hand on follower’s front L shoulder – rock basic into cross body lead and traveling 1 1/2 counterclockwise turn for follower (rock forward on 5) [note: follower has free R hand styling opportunity on 1,2,3] – R hand on follower’s back to get back into closed position
1,2,3,5,6,7 change line (turn line around by 180) and L-L hat and end with cross body lead simple

Improver – Joe Davids
1,2,3,5,6,7 basic closed
1,2,3,5,6,7 cross body lead with 1 1/2 traveling counterclockwise turn for follower ending closed (hair comb) (try to stay connected throughout)
1,2,3,5,6,7 cross body ending open – switch to R-R
1,2,3,5,6,7 L-L showing and connecting – open break and Copa with R going to follower’s R waist and fully committed to Copa as opposed to reverse cross body lead (unlike as taught by LA teachers? hmm…) – follower’s turn is led with L-L
1,2,3,5,6,7 L-L hat for leader and cross body lead

As I have now come to expect, the material was covered thoroughly and exhaustively and apparently with long-range plan – apparently it’s a 20-week plan. Supposedly, we should expect 3 more weeks of zippering down. If I’m not completely comfortable with this maneuver after few more lessons, I should consider myself retarded and probably should give up Salsa.

Shine snippet of interest
Slave Suzy Q
1 L foot cross over in front of R foot
3 L foot cross back
5,6,7 L foot Suzy Q
1 R foot cross over in front of L foot
3 R foot cross back
5,6,7 R foot Suzy Q

I’m getting near the point where I almost feel like I know way more shines than I am likely to find the opportunity to use except in special circumstances with a select number of dance partners. Still, it’s probably better to know too much rather than too little.

I stayed until shortly after 11 PM after the class. The Latin Collective representatives tonight were Joe Davids and Russell. Joe brought along a huge pile of fliers for Guildhall event advertising. According to the flier, the second Guildhall event will be held in May – so the Guildhall party will apparently start as once every 2 months event. With caveat that my opinion should not count for anything here (as many will attest that I know nothing and that I am wrong all the time), I think this makes perfect sense.

I’m probably about 80% recovered - definitely nowhere near peak condition.

I’m not sure where my dancing is going. Is it in a transitional phase, transformational phase or a minor slump? Or are my priorities changed? Or maybe I’m a little burnt out? Is it because of my determination to cut down? Is it because of some possibly strained relationships? Next few Salsa outings should go long in figuring it out.

Disclaimer: To the best of my knowledge and ability, there is nothing in this post intended to be hurtful about anyone or derogatory about any subject with the possible exception of negativity towards the author and that only to keep my ego in check. Not everything written in this post is about what happened tonight, and it might be safer to assume that a statement is likely to be about something other than tonight unless stated explicitly. Also try to avoid assuming that I’m talking about you in particular (unless stated explicitly, of course). Other than trying to do as well as I can because I feel that I might as well if I’m doing it, I don’t take any of this very seriously and I hope others don’t either – at least not to the point of becoming unhappy.

No comments: