Because because because

July 30, 2006

Because last week's SOS outing was a general disappointment, I wanted to go again this week. Because there was the danger of SOS being held at the hotel again, I was hesitant. My dilemma was resolved by learning from multiple sources (including a text message) that SOS will be at Mary Ward "definitely". Because I wanted to relax and read a book in transit, I was determined to take the train. Because of work, etc. I arrived at the train station late. Because I had said that I was going to be at SOS, I took the next train even though this meant that I would arrive only around 9 PM for only about one and half hour of dancing (it turned out to be closer to 8:45 PM).

So it was a short but sweet session - even if it started off roughly. The first dance turned out to be to a Cha Cha song; I might have been better off begging off once I realized that it was not Salsa. Next couple of dances were with people who were very unsteady - one seemed to be shaking the entire time although I couldn't figure out whether this was caused by nerves. In any case, things got better progressively. I ended the evening with at least 14 dances, including to the final song - which made me miss the 10:38 PM train.

Music was never more familiar and included 2 Cha Cha (incl. Ahora Si - Markolino Dimond), 1 Bachata, 1 Boogaloo (Push Push Push - Joe Cuba). Salsa included Esto Es Guaguanco - Cheo Feliciano, Descarga Lebron - Lebron Brothers, Perdoname - Gilberto Santa Rosa, a song I remember from the Frankie Martinez DVD - Ray Barretto. The DJ tonight by the way was the boyfriend of one of my fellow LDA students. The Salsa scene in London is not as small as Cambridge's but it certainly seems to be shrinking (in a sense that you become familiar with all the regulars pretty quickly).

Finally, I had one person in London guess correctly my londonsalsa.co.uk forum identity tonight (on my way back to Kings Cross station). I suspect that there are more people who suspect the same. Of course, this is not a big secret, especially here in Cambridge. By the way, there were 11 Cambridge-associated people here tonight - many of them are based in London now though.

No comments: